Author Topic: millers crossing  (Read 9841 times)

canondale

• Clyne Rider
  • Porker
millers crossing
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
hi be carefull when you come across top road after the bend there was a small drop off it now has been turned into a jump over the weekend send high in the air if you are riding fast

chamber66

• Weaner
Re: millers crossing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
I've noticed a few bits and bobs being built recently.Is it school kids?

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »
I've noticed a few bits and bobs being built recently.Is it school kids?
Of course it could be anyone. When we were there on Thursday, some lads had brought a van in and were building up at the northshore and someone has built up the jumps just  below it - they're looking a little lairy now for novice jumpers like me. But whoever it is, we will need to keep an eye on DIY developments on Millers because it is part of the new trail loop. Any developments on that trail will risk being undone.

Dom

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
out of interest - when trails like Millers get 'adopted' into the new official trail loop, what steps will be taken to prevent 'unauthorised' digging on them? Is the plan to simply achieve this on an information/co-operation basis with buy-in from all riders (apologies for management speak), or will there be other measures such as permanent signage ("Please do not alter or interfere with this trail...")

Mariner.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »
Don't know whether we know for sure yet, but I guess all of the above. That makes sense to me. Bit we may have to decide whether we'd go as far as tearing down any unauthorised builds, particularly if they're dangerous or outside the level of the trail's grade. E.g. black or Orange level jumps on a red section of trail. I'm not sure, don't know what other peoples views are?

Dom

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »
I was interested to hear about the arrangement that Julian has with the Forestry Commission. He said he undertakes to check the trail once a month, and ensures that all features on it are safe (well, safe if you know what you're doing anyway!). In practice I'm sure he's up there keeping an eye on things much more regularly than that. But then I'm guessing not much digging goes on up there without his say-so.

It's quite a responsibility for someone to take on in Clyne, but I guess it could be done as you suggest by a rider or riders who are in Clyne regularly all year round. New/changed features could be assessed and dealt with appropriately as and when they appear. Obviously 'dealt with appropriately' could potentially mean quite a lot of hard work... 
Mariner.

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • I'm hanging off the back of the bitch!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
I volunteer to live wild in Clyne woods, and pounce on unauthorised trail builders when they strike.
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
We couldn't pay you   ???

canondale

• Clyne Rider
  • Porker
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:43 AM »
the jump is ok it could be changed or put back to the way it was if your going fast it send you high if it was leveled off back to a drop off i reckon that would be good, have a look see what you think, i was belting along the track it caught me out unaware of it managed land  ok, if anyone want it changed i will do it i prefer it the way it was.

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
We should be putting notices on the new stuff that we find
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
I cut through Clyne on my 'cross bike today and was making my way gingerly down Millers when I found the 'new' jump.

Good job I was pottering! It looks like it's a good launch pad for the unwary.
Slower than the speed of dark

chamber66

• Weaner
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
rode it tonight, and it wasn't to bad. Would have been a different story if I hadn't known it was there. Thanks for the heads up  :)

Vrael

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
Just ridden it with Andy, we both like it. and its appeared since Sunday as I rode Millers a couple of times in the am then and it wasn't there.

Its got a chicken out line, you can hit it very slowly (as I did the first time) and if you hit it with enough pace you can really boost if it. IMHO a really nice addition to the run.
SUMTB Captain 2011/12
Clyne Riders University Liaison

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • I'm hanging off the back of the bitch!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
I usually push up and check Millers for trail pixie activity before riding.
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I usually push up and check Millers for trail pixie activity before riding.
Oh!  :( tut tut that's far too sensible! Stop it!  ;)

Yes as Phil says it works and looks like it'll get better as the build progresses. It's on the left hander just after the drop off the top road crossing. They're also building up the old existing berm on the approach which will give better riders the ability to hit it super fast! 8)