Author Topic: Locked down!!!!  (Read 812 times)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Locked down!!!!
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »
LOCKDOWN!

Hi all, I've nominated myself Colonel in Chief Lockdown Gestapo. Any posts for rides will be removed. Solo rides only (not that that should be difficult for many of us!  ::) )! And personally I would recommend tarmac/XC/gravel style low risk rides only, you do not want to be in a hospital in the coming weeks plus we really shouldn't be adding to the NHS's strain. DisssssMISSED!  8)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:49:28 AM by Pilau »

David

• Clyne Rider
  • Spider-pig
  • A Swede and a Bird...
Re: Locked down!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »
Gosh, it's not come to that here yet, we seem to lag a bit behind central Europe/the UK. Stay safe guys!

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
Not a bad idea Andy. Good job i've been practicing for solo, tame rides for the last few months!

Dave - Glad you've still got your freedom! Not sure what the weathers like out there but if it's colder that might be helping prevent the virus spread. Also Sweden has a much lower population density so less ability for the virus to make so many friends on each outing!
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

David

• Clyne Rider
  • Spider-pig
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:03 AM »
Dave - Glad you've still got your freedom! Not sure what the weathers like out there but if it's colder that might be helping prevent the virus spread. Also Sweden has a much lower population density so less ability for the virus to make so many friends on each outing!

Thanks Tris, making the best of it while it lasts!

We're being cautious here too ofcourse, however no fines for accidentally saying hello to your neighbours and such yet. Many flue-type viruses do quite well in the cold, but I don't think we know enough about this one to say anything with confidence about it's seasonality. It's definitely less people / area here though, atleast for the most part of the country!

Andy highlighted a very important point though - we don't want to stress hospitals further by doing stupid things on our bikes atm. That applies no matter we're in a lockdown or not IMHO.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
NRW have closed their trails for the same reasons.

Personally, I think we should make the same sort of statement. It's Swansea Council land so it's up to them to close it but we can ask people to desist from riding trails.  Any thoughts?

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 07:27:40 AM »
Andy, Im not sure it would any difference at all, us saying something. People arent listening to the government telling them that their relatives might die, never mind us saying that the trails are closed. (Which they wont physically be.)

I rode MTB on Saturday and Sunday, knowing that I wouldnt be doing it for a while, and Ive been riding the gravel bike to work all week. (And will continue to as long as the weather allows..)

Ive never seen so many people around, constantly, everywhere. Loads of joggers on Clynes cycle path before 8am yesterday, plenty who had found a football top and cheap trainers and were shambling around looking like theyd never been outside before. On the way home I saw more people on the brickworks singletrack (Dunvant) than Ive ever seen there in total, and there were sooo many bikes and loose dogs around! It was a little dangerous in terms of riding over a dog, never mind social distancing. People every 100m for the whole length of the cycle path at 4pm on a Tuesday. Ive refused to use the seafront path at all because of the numbers on it.
Slower than the speed of dark

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
I wouldn't even ask people to avoid riding the trails. Many of the trails in Clyne can be ridden at a safe level, depending on ability, so for anyone who can get there without driving i'd not see the issue riding there instead of getting their hour a day of exercise from other places. Especially as most other places are so full of people right now. With more people the risk of contamination is increased significantly, as well as accidents due to people and animals not understanding how a cycle path works. I think I mentioned on Strava: The road might actually have become a safer place to ride now.

I'd rather we just reiterate the point about not causing any more strain on the NHS by injuring yourself through pushing boundaries and riding stuff out of your comfort zone. If the council want to do something different with their land, then that's their call to make.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »
Less joggers (fewer joggers! 😁 ) on CV cycle path this morning. They must have been at home applying medicated cream to their inflamed nipples, and ice on their knees and ankles. 😂

It was almost as mental as yesterday at 2pm though. I rode onto the path at the Gowerton end and actually said FFS out loud because of the number of people in front of me. 🙄

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 04:15:55 PM »
I don't think that MTB Pigs / Clyne Riders should be seen to be encouraging/organising/condoning group rides of any sort, even in our usual highly-informal way. But on a personal level I'm mindful of the benefits of continuing to exercise, and the fact that the government has acknowledged/authorised this. But I'm also mindful that MTB is a risk activity - sometimes quite high risk, and I really don't want to end up in A&E right now for all sorts of reasons.

If Clyne isn't physically closed (or official signage to that effect) then I won't rule out finding myself out for some government-authorised exercise, at a safe distance from any like-minded others, in a manner that is reasonably unlikely to cause me to end up in hospital.

That's my two-penn'orth anyway. 
Mariner.

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 07:26:26 PM »
actually said FFS out loud

Are you having us believe this is some sort of unusual occurrence Jon?
Mariner.

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
actually said FFS out loud

Are you having us believe this is some sort of unusual occurrence Jon?

Well its normally an internal thing, and I dont recall ever saying it because of zombie hordes before. 😁

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 09:39:17 PM »
Internal!? It's practically your catch-phrase!
Mariner.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
I agree with Jon as the CV path is still busy with people .....
Even though I live right on the CV track Ive been driving to mill lane to avoid them and then enjoy the trails ... very little people up the woods thankfully.... ( my one lung dilemma means got to be safe )

Ive stayed in for the last 3 days but hopefully have a quiet hour up the woods tomorrow at some point

Stay safe 👍
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »
I rode around Clyne yesterday - left the house before 7am, it was a gorgeous morning but cold.

I saw three other riders, including one on a derestricted E-bike. Several dog walkers. Busier than Id expect it to be on a normal Sunday afternoon and the sun was only just up. I can trust myself to ride those trails slowly without hurting myself, but the girl I saw looked very hesitant, and she was only on the fire-road.

I also have to question the wisdom of people on MTB Facebook groups who havent ridden for months and are talking about dragging their bikes out now. 🙄

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
... very little people up the woods

Tristan?
Mariner.