Author Topic: Hellooooooooooooooooooo  (Read 476 times)

jackrmee

• Piglet
Hellooooooooooooooooooo
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Ga (Gareth is a shit name and I hate my parents for it).
I have been using an MTB for as long as I can remember and have been interested in extreme sports, however never really tried anything properly. Always had a half decent hardtail, but never really been round any decent trails (probably Pembrey Country Park is the only place I've been off-road).
Anyway, I'm getting old now and bought a lovely little bike and have a van, I got rid of my crazy full-time job and became a student again :)
I have a lot more time now, so thought I'd start by trying a few local trails...

Strewth, I'm unfit!!!

I went down to Brechfa for the first time and tried the blue course, as it was shortest and less of a climb than the easiest green. WOW, I couldn't even make it to the top without stopping about 3-4 times! (It was extremely hot/humid that day though, as an excuse).
I absolutely loved it though!! Being out in nature. The climb was difficult, but peaceful and beautiful. Then, booooosh! Coming down was something else! There's nothing like that in Pembrey Forest! I've got the bug.

I Live just outside Llanelli, so not too far from you guys.
I'm not a very outgoing person and I still don't have mental amounts of time on my hands, so would probably not be able to make your meets every week, but I would love to join you guys sometimes if that is possible please?
I'll try not to be a pain in the ass and I won't bother you, I just want to learn from real riders instead of YouTube.

I am active, but want to get fit.
I am mechanical, but want to learn bikes.
I am inexperienced, but want to get faster.

:)

Richardgarner1

• Wild boar
Re: Hellooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
Hi ga,

Welcome, you'll fit right in here. There's always something going on and 95% of what we generally ride is beginner friendly. I wouldn't worry to much about your fitness, it'll come with time. Alot of the Thursday night stuff is stop start anyway. That'll be the best way to build your skills, clyne is a great place as it has a bit of everything.

Rich

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
Welcome to the group. Keep an eye on it and youíll see loads of rides being arranged. Probably best to join one of the Clyne rides - itís a bit gentler there than places like Masts, which can get properly extreme. Weíve not killed anyone on a ride yet... (Although, come to think of it thereís normally someone injured at any one time. 😂 )
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »
Hi Ga - we can call you anything you want. You should hear the things they call me!  ::) I've always wished we had an MTB Pig called Sharon!  ???

I'm the current injured one.
(Although, come to think of it thereís normally someone injured at any one time. 😂 )

I am inexperienced, but want to get faster.
Don't do that you'll end up being the Injured One.  8)

Welcome to the group!  ;)

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
Hi Ga, welcome to the club. Like the others have said, Clyne is likely a great starting place to see what sort of stuff you like.  It's only a small area but there's a good amount of stuff to ride.

Feel free to post up on anything you fancy coming along to. 
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

jackrmee

• Piglet
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your messages.
Yeah Iím up for Thursdays, but will need a bit of time to rearrange my diary, as usually do something else on a Thursday.

What time do you meet and where exactly?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
Cool, see you out soon.

There's a post covering the Thursday rides here if that helps:
http://www.mtbpigs.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1536.0
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)