Author Topic: Freehub damaged.  (Read 180 times)

Richardgarner1

• Wild boar
Freehub damaged.
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »
Ok so I noticed a noise last Thursday and thought it might have been my chain rattling. As it turns out it was the cassette that had come loose (Tristan you were right). Unfortunately after a trip to BPW without tightening it it has damaged the freehub body. Not bad enough to stop me using it but I want to price one up for when it eventually goes bang.

My problem is that I have a SRAM hub with a Shimano cassette. I'm assuming that the freehub is a Shimano one but can't find any info on it. Has anyone had this type of setup before? I can't see any part numbers on the freehub, but the hub/wheel is a SRAM rail 40. The spec from SRAM shows it with a XD driver although I can see that on the freehub. I've not completely stripped it down yet just removed the cassette.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Richardgarner1

• Wild boar
Re: Freehub damaged.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
Think I might have just figured out what is going on. It has a SRAM 10 speed freehub which will fit an 11speed Shimano cassette.

Justin_R

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:40:43 AM »
Is it the thread that's damaged? Anyway, getting a freehub body will be easy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:42:39 AM by Justin_R »

Richardgarner1

• Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
Not the thread, the splines on the freehub body are damaged. The 11 tooth cog is pretty bad the others are ok. It might hold fine. I've cranked it up as tight as I can.

David

• Clyne Rider
  • Spider-pig
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
If the splines are not too badly damaged, try smooth the grades down with a fine file (is that the right word?). It has worked for me a couple if times and saved me a bit of money.

Justin_R

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
If it's a CNC machined alloy freehub body then it's common for the cassette splines to get gouged (especially if it's a cassette without a resin carrier, metal just bites into metal). Often it's mostly superficial but as David says a fine file can clean things up. Forged steel freehub bodies are best to avoid this.
Do you know if it's alloy or steel?

Richardgarner1

• Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
Definitely alloy, the cassette lock ring must have come loose and the 11 tooth cog folded the splines on the end over. This stopped it from slipping further but now the cog is only sitting on half the spline.

This image isn't mine but it looks similar. I've tightened mine to F@#k and don't want to try taking it off to take a pic. It will hopefully be ok but I'd like to shop around and get one as cheap as I can.