Author Topic: Rockshox Reverb advice  (Read 103 times)

Brendawg

• Wild boar
  • Where's my rock/ sledgehammer?
    • That crash from Snowdon
Rockshox Reverb advice
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
Evening Gents,

Iím having issues with my reverb. Iíve rebuilt the bloody thing 4 times now this week, but when I sit on the saddle, it goes down without me touching the lever. It also come up when I stand up, again without me touching the lever. Any ideas whatís causing this?
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five
DMR Drone of unknown vintage - The Stealth Bomber

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Re: Rockshox Reverb advice
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »
 :-[ I'm afraid I know very little about the workings of the Reverb. Is the oil line from the lever pressurised maybe? E.g. air in the line pressurising it under the  high hemperatures??

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
When i was switching over my lever the other day I ran across a few exploded diagrams, I only have the lever one to hand but sure there was a decent one around for the post too.  And suggestions were that they weren't that complicated to fettle.

You'll be much better at diagnosing them than I am but it must be something stopping whatever it is that locks the stanchion in place.  Either the lever isn't fully returning to extended, air in the system expanding like Andy says (i'd be surprised at this as I don't think the air would expand to give enough force), too much air pressure in the post itself maybe highering the force it needs to clamp or, the most likely, is going to be something along the lines of something sticking in how the stanchion is clamped in place.  For which I have no experience.

At worst, a cable tie (re-useable one if you're really fancy) will get you a seatpost that you can at least sit on and have stay in place to come riding tonight!
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Brendawg

• Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions gents. I know the problem is in the post, not the lever as it does it without the lever connected. I think itís down to something like a stuck o ring or an internal leak but I just canít find what it is.
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/rockshox-reverb-how-works-929224.html

Some interesting images here, from what I briefly read, it looks like pressing the button releases a valve internaly which allows it to move. That valve should be normally closed ie locked in place. My guess is that it's somehow stuck open maybe not seating correctly. I've never stripped one down b4 though so im no expert. Is it a stealth?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brendawg

• Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 10:23:51 PM »
Turns out it was a slightly undersized o ring on the inner shaft piston. Was allowing air past but very slowly. Iíve fixed it now. Thanks for the advice though.
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »
I know where in comming for my repairs now lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk