Author Topic: Hi  (Read 147 times)

Aled

• Piglet
Hi
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
Always find it hard to motivate myself to get out on the bike. Especially in the winter. So regular ride with a club sounds like a good idea. It mentions in the forum that a good set of lights are need, but with so many available at all sorts of prices, is there any suggestions on what to get.

Thanks
Aled

caf

• Wild boar
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
Hi Aled - welcome to the 'pigs. I know exactly what you mean re motivation!

I've got a set of Hope lights and was fortunate to win a set of ayup lights, they're both great, but they're a few years old now and with a lot of the Chinese lights you see now on ebay at a fraction of the cost, I'd definitely think twice about buying expensive lights. (for the cost saving rather than the quality of the light).

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Aled.

Buy cheap Chinese lights if you want to get a taster of riding off-road at night. They might be unreliable, but they're cheap..

Expensive lights are more reliable (normally), come with better mounts and a far better spread of light. No point having 2000 lumens in a £30 light if it's all concentrated on one small point.

I've got a very old Hope 4 - I'd recommend Hope thoroughly - and a cheaper CandB Seen 1200 lumen light. (Cost about £50ish) I might look at the Alpkit lights - they have a decent looking one at less than £100.

See you soon!
Slower than the speed of dark

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
Hi Aled and welcome to the forum.  The others have pretty much summed up the difference between lights.  I'm running a cheap light and i've been relatively lucky with it but equally, plenty of people have had issues.  If you pay more you're more likely to get a more robust light and a UK warranty.

Hopefully see you out on the trails sometime.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
Hello and welcome Aled.

It's that time of year when we all struggle with motivation, but winter miles = summer smiles.

As for lights I personally would spend the extra and go for better mounts and a good quality battery, I rate exposure lights.

See you on the trails.

Aled

• Piglet
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I've gone for a cheap Chinese set up, from a UK supplier, for now to see how it goes. As soon as they arrive I'll get out.... probably next Thursday.

Justin_R

• Spider-pig
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Aled. Hope to see you out on a ride soon.

David

• Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Welcome!  :)

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Welcome Aled
Had my 'cheapie' Solarstorm for nearly 3 years now and can't fault them ( not that I do much night riding now though )
Where do you normally ride ?
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
Ok now Steven, be honest. How many times have you ridden in the night since you had that light?

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
Ok now Steven, be honest. How many times have you ridden in the night since you had that light?

Lol
I use them more now for work ( surveying farms in the dark ) than riding :)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
There's a good tradition of livestock rustling in this area.  ;D

Aled

• Piglet
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Welcome Aled
Had my 'cheapie' Solarstorm for nearly 3 years now and can't fault them ( not that I do much night riding now though )

Mainly canal and cycle paths in the winter. But clyne and kilvey are my normal spots. Did go to the 417 project a couple of weeks ago for an uplift day, definitely worth a trip.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
Welcome Aled

Mainly canal and cycle paths in the winter. But clyne and kilvey are my normal spots. Did go to the 417 project a couple of weeks ago for an uplift day, definitely worth a trip.

Not been there but heard good things so worth a visit for sure