Author Topic: Dyfi Winter Warmup  (Read 2213 times)

Justin_R

• Clyne Rider
  • Spider-pig
Re: Dyfi Winter Warmup
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
I was curious about what kind of operation "bunnying them in" referred to.  ;D

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
WTF!  How did the bunny get  in there!?  :o ???

Did you leave the hutch open?
Slower than the speed of dark

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
So todays maintenance has not gone particularly well.  Ford seeemed to have designed the worst possible spare wheel release system...

Thanks to Andys clever bodge i've managed to get the spare wheel onto the ground.  Unfortunately it's a 2 part release system and the next part involves what should be unscrewing a hand tightened head but because of where we live it is completely rusted.  As it's not a bolt head I can't get any decent force to turn it and my trusty vice for such a thing has split. 

So, long and short of it, doesn't look like i'll be driving tomorrow.  Just going to head down screwfix now to see if they've got any molegrips to help.  Will update if that gets me anywhere.

Also, anyone want to lend my brother a bike?  His looks to be broken and he's failed to organise a spare.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
He could borrow the Boardman but there are several problems:

Its filthy and i won't have time to clean it
The brake pads are worn to the backing plate and I have no replacements.
It's a Large - not sure how tall C is?
It's a Boardman and he rides SC.  ;D

So he can ride it if he's happy with a filthy cheap bike with no brakes.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
Cheers Jon.  What brakes are they? 
The rest of it i'm sure can be dealt with and I don't understand the cleaning thing anyway.

I've found out that vise grips are the best thing ever.  Managed to get the hand screw nut off so have changed the tyre now.  Going to check it later to make sure it's holding air (should be fine as it still had 20 ish psi in it from at least 3 years ago) but looking like I should be able to drive tomorrow after all.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Deore brakes

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
OK Tristan, looks like the original plan then as regards driving then. Andy I'll give you a call later
Mariner.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
Stresssssssssss! >:(  :o Sounds like a right ball ache! Get some waterproof marine grade grease Tristan and coat that bolt thing up with it. Might just slow down the rot .

I have the Scott, but it's an out and out XC bike and will try to kill Curtis or any rider at the merest hint of an opportunity. It's a Scott Aspect, Aspect being Taiwanese for Cu#t! He'd be quick up hill on it though! ;D

Dom, if plan A remains in play, 2:45 hrs journey so mosey on down here for 7:45 ish, wake me up, make me some breakfast ...  ;D :D :D ;D Unless you need me to come to you? We'll probably need to lower your seat and whip your wheels off and the bikes should go in without any significant contact. Bring a change of clothes, I anticipate we'll be getting wet!!  ::)  ;)

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Cheers all. 

Jon - let me know if it's both sets of pads or just one.  Probably aim for the full suss over Andys death machine.  Although no great loss if Andy's XC bike rides Curtis off the hill.

Andy - impressive translations but I think you might want to leave a little earlier than that?  Sign on is only supposed to be between 8ish and 10:30 I think.  So at best you'd be getting there as sign on is closing (not that I think it actually does).  In reality Pigs altered time means one of you won't meet the other until 15mins after agreed time and additional faffing with the bikes will add at least another 15mins!

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
Both sets I think, Tris.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »
OK cool.  Aim to pick you up half 7.

Jon

• Wild boar
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »
Ok thanks. (You remember where I live?)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »

Andy - impressive translations but I think you might want to leave a little earlier than that?  Sign on is only supposed to be between 8ish and 10:30 I think.  So at best you'd be getting there as sign on is closing (not that I think it actually does).  In reality Pigs altered time means one of you won't meet the other until 15mins after agreed time and additional faffing with the bikes will add at least another 15mins!
Yep that was probably a touch optimistic, Dom you'd better make it 7:15 ..... just checking Google to see if that exists on a Sunday!  :o   ;)

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
waterproof marine grade grease ... wake me up ... lower your seat and whip ... should go in without any significant contact ... Bring a change of clothes, I anticipate we'll be getting wet!! 

Ummm, can I go with Tristan instead?

Joking (hopefully!) aside, do you think I should get over to your place a bit earlier Andy, as per Tristan's words of wisdom?
Mariner.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
waterproof marine grade grease ... wake me up ... lower your seat and whip ... should go in without any significant contact ... Bring a change of clothes, I anticipate we'll be getting wet!! 

Ummm, can I go with Tristan instead?

Joking (hopefully!) aside, do you think I should get over to your place a bit earlier Andy, as per Tristan's words of wisdom?

Did I really say all that! :-[ :o
Yes he's probably right, does 7:15 sound more sensible? Or earlier?