Author Topic: Thurs 21-09-17  (Read 774 times)

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
Thurs 21-09-17
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Anyone else out for some drifty action tonight?  Lights will almost certainly be needed right off the bat.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Christares

• Porker
Re: Thurs 21-09-17
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
Since I regularly started donning the lycra I find MTBers to be coarse, loud and vulgar, despite this I was prepared to come out tonight, if only to try and raise the tone, unfortunately it's Dylan's sending off do at the Black Boy tonight (he's off to Barcelona for a couple of months) and, given thats he's my son, I best go.

Please do try to limit all that 'whooping' and sideways nonsense, it's not efficient and Clyne is such a nice middle class area.

Christares

• Porker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
..oops, change of plan, I will be out, prob on the ebike cos I'm doing lycra in the day, all that stuff about loud and vulgar was just a slip of the key board, or I was hacked or something.

David

• Clyne Rider
  • Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
I'll go up and down the cycle path a couple of turns, as the weather actually seems alright tonight. Don't wont to get dirty. Will be parking the Volvo at the car park around nomal time.

Christares

• Porker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
I'll go up and down the cycle path a couple of turns, as the weather actually seems alright tonight. Don't wont to get dirty. Will be parking the Volvo at the car park around nomal time.

That more like it, keep that Volvo clean.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I like the way Chris still assumes he's welcome!
This is going to be awkward...

Dave, you're still welcome but you're on a slippery slope.  And not the good kind!

Although takeaway from this is i'd like to forward a motion that we change the club name to "The Vulgar Riders".  It's just right.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Christares

• Porker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
I like the way Chris still assumes he's welcome!
This is going to be awkward...

I'll bulldoze my way through it Tris, totally oblivious to the whispers, sideways glances and silences, it's what I do and also why I never learn..

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:05:24 PM »
I'm going to give it a miss - Today was post mortem day so there are some glum faces around my gaff  :'(  I'll be chief morale officer tonight, anyone know any good jokes?  :-\ ::)

Christares

• Porker
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
I'll be out early, probably about 6 to give the dog a run first, he can't keep up on group rides now bless him.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
See you again soon Andy.

Chris - Is it really that the dog can't keep up?  Or just trying to distance himself from the lycra?

Dom

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
Yep, should be out for as long as my lights hold out (forgot to charge them). And so long as I manage to shim down an old seatpost for my Kona - my dropper post has gone back under warranty. I have it on good authority* that old cardboard is good for this, bits of inner tube not so much...

* Tristan said
Mariner.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
Not cardboard, i'd imagine that would be far too thick. 

What I said was the recent Farm Foods mailshot worked wonderfully.  I'd not like to comment on other less recent versions, or if you're exceptionally brave/foolish, other brands. 

Also, pretty sure you can't shim down a seatpost.  Shave down maybe but shims generally increase the size.

David

• Clyne Rider
  • Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
Yep, should be out for as long as my lights hold out (forgot to charge them). And so long as I manage to shim down an old seatpost for my Kona - my dropper post has gone back under warranty. I have it on good authority* that old cardboard is good for this, bits of inner tube not so much...

* Tristan said
Strips of an old beer-can* might do the trick. Gives you a reason to have a pre-ride pint as well  :)

* Not sure its approved by good authority though.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Well not beer but i have used an old can of strongbow before as a shim for a front derailleur before I saw the light and took it off permanently.  Then again i've also used a handily placed rock as a spacer so I guess where there's a will...

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
 If you wrapped the exposed section of  seat post very neatly with 60 - 80 zip ties that would work? ??? And you'd up holding  an infamous trail-bodge tradition! ;D