Author Topic: Tell me about tubeless....  (Read 209 times)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Tell me about tubeless....
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
The new bike is tubeless ready and the rims are taped up as well, so I'd assume that I just need valves and sealant? Slop the sealant in, seat the tyres, spin, and away I go.  :D

Is there anything more to it than that, and what's the best sealant/valves to look for? (Wheels are DT Swiss M1900 Spline).
Slower than the speed of dark

David

• Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
Re: Tell me about tubeless....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
The new bike is tubeless ready and the rims are taped up as well, so I'd assume that I just need valves and sealant? Slop the sealant in, seat the tyres, spin, and away I go.  :D

Is there anything more to it than that, and what's the best sealant/valves to look for? (Wheels are DT Swiss M1900 Spline).

I've got (almost) the same rims as you (DT Swiss E1900 Spline) and I'm pretty sure I've got these tubeless valves: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-tubeless-valve/rp-prod81463

Used them for half a year now, bent one of the valve cores quite badly, but they still work as intended. My wheels came with Stan's sealant, which seems to do the job too.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »
I think Marcus put Stans in mine over a year ago, and it's still good.  8) My problem now is where to find rim tape and what to buy  ??? ::)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Andy, I read somewhere that you need to refresh the sealant every few months - is this not correct?
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
I've heard similar, I assume I'm living on borrowed time!  ;D ;D :D ;D

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
The sealant dries up over time so won't be doing much to fill punctures or ensure the bead is sealed to the rim after that. 

You can get tubeless specific rims and tyres.  For the best match you want both as they'll fit together much snugger than standard rims / tyres.  If your bike says it's tubeless ready i'd assume that at least the rims are.

I haven't tried seating a tubeless tyre for a long time but you're going to want something that can put a high volume of air into the tyre in a short amount of time (Airshot etc).  I managed previously on an electric car pump and i think i've even heard of it being done with a track pump but I think that's near impossible. 

Once you have it setup, you'll still need to bring a spare tube with you in case you rip the tyre enough that the sealant doesn't fix it.

I'm considering giving this a go again.  Probably with some Huck Norris equivalent for additional snakebite / rim protection.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
We did mine with a track pump.  8)

Anyone got any opinion on what sealant, tape and valves to get?

Brendawg

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
  • Where's my rock/ sledgehammer?
    • That crash from Snowdon
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »
Stand sealant, superstar components valves and duct tape. Don't waste money on tubeless rim tape, duct tape works better
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five
DMR Drone of unknown vintage - The Stealth Bomber

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
Stand sealant, superstar components valves and duct tape. Don't waste money on tubeless rim tape, duct tape works better

Think I might give this set up a go when I get some new tyres.