Author Topic: Would this be insane?  (Read 1214 times)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Re: Would this be insane?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
Thanks Justin. I don't need it to particularly lean heavily to the off road. In fact, it's going to be a road bike in the main, so I don't want to compromise it's road abilities too much. I'm actually starting to think the Space Chicken is wrong and insane for all the wrong reasons. Jon's mad me realise I have to think more carefully about gearing, and I believe a 1x drive train isn't the best choice. I think the geometry of the SC is actually not very gravel it actually has the same fork geometry as my Felt (same HA and rake) I fancy a Carbon fibre frame. But not sure just how much that matters. I think I'll have another little review of the Al favourites (GT, Norco, NS, Specialized, Nukeproof, etc)

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Probably paying for the brand but the colour is lovely:
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/datum/datum-20

(or Ultegra for another £400 but the colours not as nice!)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:11 AM »
Probably paying for the brand but the colour is lovely:
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/datum/datum-20

(or Ultegra for another £400 but the colours not as nice!)
I have drooled over the Datum.  I'd go 105 my absolute max budget was 2000 but I'm sure I can sell something out the garage ;)  With the Datum, I'd have to sacrifice a rear thru axle, screw fit BB and the tyre clearance. Geometry wise,  once again it's really similar to my Felt. But I do like it.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:39 AM »
Didn't spot the press-fit, that is a bit of a pain.

While I like the idea of through axles for security on a mtb, is it that much of a deal breaker on a road/gravel bike? Admittedly I have chicken legs but have never noticed flex and put it down to the axle

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Didn't spot the press-fit, that is a bit of a pain.

While I like the idea of through axles for security on a mtb, is it that much of a deal breaker on a road/gravel bike? Admittedly I have chicken legs but have never noticed flex and put it down to the axle
I don't notice flex on my 26 HT MTB but I do notice it on my road bike when I'm out of the saddle and hauling lard uphill. But how much is wheel or axle or frame? I'm not sure to be honest.

Press fit - I would hate it if my bike creaked. Spend 2k on a bike that creaks like my worthless clunker!  :o :( On the other hand, I've read that if it does creak, there are after market fixes. I confess, I perhaps don't know enough about it and may be erring unnecessarily towards what I do know. And the advantages in frame structure are undeniable.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
I've got press fit on my mtb, no issues with creaking whatsoever, but the race face bb's I have to use with the cranks die on a regular basis and I'm scared of replacing myself. I guess if I bought the right tools it wouldn't be an issue, but not as easy as threaded

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
[Geometry wise,  once again it's really similar to my Felt. But I do like it.

That means that the geometry is crap on your road bike, not vice versa.  ;D

71 HA is slacker than necessary on a pure road bike. Classic racing geometry would be 73/73 HA/SA.
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Classic racing geometry would be 73/73 HA/SA.
Says the old fart!  :P

Anyway the Datum is 72 and my Felt is 72.5 and the Chicken is 72.5 too. To be honest,  I'm really not buying into the idea that 2 or even 3 degrees will make enough difference to notice, especially  the SA .

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:25 PM »
I've got press fit on my mtb, no issues with creaking whatsoever, but the race face bb's I have to use with the cranks die on a regular basis and I'm scared of replacing myself. I guess if I bought the right tools it wouldn't be an issue, but not as easy as threaded

That's reassuring  to hear. Craig has an early PF  BB and he can fit and remove his without any tools!!!! :o :-[ I don't think they creak though.

They probably rattle! ;D :D :D

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »
Now that I've come to terms with how much money I have to fork out   :-[  !! And that I still need to make a sacrifice or two (no, not the wife and the dog!) I've had a review of previously drooled on bikes and this is firmly back on the shortlist: https://www.ridley-bikes.com/fi/en/bikes/allroad/x-trail-carbon/185/x-trail-carbon-105-mix-hdb-xtr-01cm-matte.html

Iain, I notice you ride a Ridley,  what you think of them?

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 12:45:43 AM »
My input is lazy on this thread ATM. Any thoughts on a Ti frame apart for cost factor? More choice here if you aren't a fan of push fit BB's.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 01:37:25 AM »
Yeah I really like the idea of Ti.  But yes it's super expensive.  Check out these beauties https://fireflybicycles.com/bicycles/all-road Those finishes are to die for. A custom bike from this lot could set you back up to 5 figures!! Problem is, once  you've seen these a cheap On One frame looks ...... well ...... cheap! :D (ish)  I could bite the bullet and say this is a bike for the next 10 years and sod the cost (to a point), but I'd have to be absolutely  certain about what I want and future proof it as much as possible - and as you've guessed I barely know or understand what I want!! :D ;D

Just noticed another nail in the Space Chicken's coffin: availability - May! ::)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
Hey Justin,  now Urban Cyclery has sadly closed  :( you guys should set yourselves up as the local Ridley dealers  ;)

Dom

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »
No input on this thread from Tristan?  ???
Mariner.

Justin_R

• Spider-pig
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
Hey Justin,  now Urban Cyclery has sadly closed  :( you guys should set yourselves up as the local Ridley dealers  ;)

Yeah, Ridleys do seem to be pretty sorted bikes.