Author Topic: Would this be insane?  (Read 981 times)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Would this be insane?
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:36:03 AM »

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSPCFOR129/on-one-space-chicken-sram-force-1-monster-gravel-bike-700c-wheels

Main points: Slack geometry, low BB, Thru axles, flat mount hydraulic brakes, carbon frame & fork,  38mm tyres, screw fit BB, neat cable routing, vaguely on-budget :-\ ,  farting chicken graphics!

Bonus points: mud guard & pannier mounts, 3rd bottle cage option, up to 48mm tyres, ridiculous name! Stealth Reverb ready!!! :o

Unsure about: ridiculous name, weight (probably just a few grams lighter than my current road bike), not sure about gearing (quite happy on the road with current bike's 50/34 - 11/32 but not so sure off-road), no front mech option, not sure it's Di2 ready.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:39:05 AM by Pilau »

David

• Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
Re: Would this be insane?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
Be careful, I hear you can cut yourself on that kind of breaks!   ::)

Justin_R

• Spider-pig
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
It looks pretty good, actually. Seems to have the internal routing options to handle Di2, you might just need the grommets. But I'd ask them to make sure.
Soon you're not going to have to worry about internal routing for electronic, it'll all be wireless like eTap.

I'd buy the bike for the name alone.  ;D

Anyway, shameless shop plug, there is the Paralane for comparison: https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/road/paralane

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
All looks good. I wouldn't be at all bothered about the weight - any gravel/cross bike is going to weigh more than a road equivalent. And the gearing WILL be wrong when you get off road! (As previously discussed.) 😊
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
It looks pretty good, actually. Seems to have the internal routing options to handle Di2, you might just need the grommets. But I'd ask them to make sure.
Soon you're not going to have to worry about internal routing for electronic, it'll all be wireless like eTap.

I'd buy the bike for the name alone.  ;D

Anyway, shameless shop plug, there is the Paralane for comparison: https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/road/paralane
Fair play, it looks a good bike except for the tyre clearance. It's super light too, isn't it. :-\

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
All looks good. I wouldn't be at all bothered about the weight - any gravel/cross bike is going to weigh more than a road equivalent. And the gearing WILL be wrong when you get off road! (As previously discussed.) 😊
You put the space fox amongst the chickens with your thoughts on gearing. My brain's in a mess on that front!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
Be careful, I hear you can cut yourself on that kind of breaks!   ::)
That's why us MTBers are so maimed and ugly  ;D
Glad you're ok David - heard ISIS immigrants killed all you guys in a terror attack! ;) ;D

David

• Porker
  • A Swede and a Bird...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »
Glad you're ok David - heard ISIS immigrants killed all you guys in a terror attack! ;) ;D

Thanks, but no worries! According to some highly reliable intel, the one who should not be named was apparently referring to either 1) a spectacular car chase in Stockholm, 2) shitloads of snow in the north causing some minor difficulties or 3) a horny moose having fun in someone's back garden. I'm guessing 3!  ;D

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
I was terrorised once by a horny moose on a night out in Wind Street! :-[

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
You put the space fox amongst the chickens with your thoughts on gearing. My brain's in a mess on that front!

I guess it depends on how much time you're going to spend off-road. But then, if you've opted for a gravel bike then maybe some dirt might be cruised?  ;D

When I got my first ever cross bike (steel Paul Milnes, approx 400 in '97ish) I asked them to swap the 48/38 cranks out for a mtb triple. The guy on the phone was puzzled why I'd do that. And he was proved correct -44/34/24 was way too low. Since then, all of my cross bikes have been 46/36 because that's the best compromise for me. The terrain needs to be hard and fast for me to put it into 46 so it rarely happens off road but I only spin out out of the 46 on fast road descents. Because of the nature of the bike it rarely does long road descents...

Also, if a bike comes as standard with a 50t chainring, it suggests that its main aim isn't to be ridden on a mix of terrain. It suggests a heavy compromised road bike, commuter or one of these weird gravel bikes.  ;D

(I really am thinking out loud here anyway. Everything I've said is what works for me, not necessarily anyone else!)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
So, having perused the Space Chicken, I'm a little hmm, harr, hmmm.

The sizing is weird. (I ride a 54cm 'dale. The SC 54 would be too small, the 57 looks too big.) As are some of the geometry figures, but then it's more of an adventure bike than a cross bike. I'd buy it on that basis. I wouldn't buy it to race it, but I don't think that's your intention.

42t and 11-42 is too low for road, ok for off-road. I wouldn't go 1x on a bike like this.

Oh, and you do not need a dropper on this bike!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:16:54 AM »
I need to go into more detail, but it's looking like my Felt is every bit the gravel bike that the Chicken is! (In geometry terms) In fact it has nearly the same head angle, BB drop and the head tube is actually longer. The chicken has a longer wheelbase but not by much. They're the same stack and frame reach. I guess the stem will tune the actual reach. Or is the Space Chicken just a slightly over engineered carbon endurance bike. It's making me think that the key here is going to be gearing. With a 42 it'll be lower geared than my Felt 50/34 : 11/32 = 1.06 to 4.55 .
SC 42 : 11/42 = 1 to 3.82 and both are probably lower at the bottom than a CX. Maybe it's too low.
A 44t gives a comparable low to the Felt, but still loses some top - 1.05 to 4.00.
Of course, with that wide ranging cassette, jumps between gears are going to be bigger, I'll feel that on the road I think.
I come back to my concern that I think a double will suit me better than a single.
I think I will need to sacrifice something, be it tyre clearance for something with better gearing.  Or lose the carbon frame to bring more variety back into my budget.

Why wouldn't I need a dropper post on a road bike!  ::)  :P

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »
One other thought - an XD cassette 10/42 would wide the gearing a lot. But it wouldn't do anything to improve the jumps in gear shifts.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Yes it would be insane  ;D

Surely must be other gravel type bikes for 2k that can afford a FD?

Justin_R

• Spider-pig
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
There's another adventure/gravel/cyclo-cross bastard mutant bike you might be interested in, Andy. I just can't remember the name right now.  :-\  But the geometry is more towards XC. Massive tyre clearance, 1x11 system. It's a small British company that gets the frames made in  Taiwan.

Maybe Jon knows who I mean...?