Author Topic: suspension servicing  (Read 603 times)

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
suspension servicing
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »
Anywhere closer than Lodge that can be trusted to service forks well? Bit of a pain they've moved up to Cwmafan. A lot of places seem to just send them off to TFtuned

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: suspension servicing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
Not sure but i'd be interested in the answer.  Not sure i've had a pair of forks last long enough to make it to a service for a few years...
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
Sadly I think I may be in the same boat  :(  seems to be no support in them even with higher than normal air pressure and twiddling between open, pedal and closed on the RCT3 damper makes no difference to fork performance, just hoping a service will magically make them work again!

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
Anywhere closer than Lodge that can be trusted to service forks well? Bit of a pain they've moved up to Cwmafan. A lot of places seem to just send them off to TFtuned

It's pretty handy for me though!  :P

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
Funny you should ask this, I have an interesting story about sending forks off to TF Tuned. If you do send them. Don't let them keep them if they say they're beyond economical repair!  ;) >:( Pay the postage and get them back.

I wouldn't say there was anywhere closer than Lodge who don't send off for fotk servicing. Not 100% sure about Wheelies.  But a DIY service isn't very difficult. And it's easier again, if you're only doing the air leg service. Brings me to my next question: You say the fork doesn't resist properly with higher pressure in it. Does the rebound and compression damping  work though despite? If it's a problem on the air side it just makes the job slightly easier. That said, if you've got it in bits, probably worth doing both anyway. Hardest part is probably working out what seal kit to get!  ;) Another consideration, if you're concerned a service won't fix it: why? And arguably,  better to not spend extra  money on a send away service.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
first slightly odd thing was that after not using it for a few months during cx season, all the air had escaped, however I pumped it up and it seems to be holding air. The characteristics seem to have changed in the travel though, seems more linear and softer throughout, and then the lock out isn't working. It's the lack of lcokoutthat makes me worry its broken, I guess even if the air is leaking should be fixable with new seals? In fact think I have a seal kit from buying the forks
I did read that if you get a bit of dirt under it can stop the lock out dial working. Don't think I trust myself to service myself, will just take it to Lodge when I get a chance.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
Ferrals - an obvious question, but have you used the bike? Some of my forks need to be worked before becoming 'normal' again. (Get the oil flowing through them properly, or something!)
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
What forks are they Iain? Do they have negative air chamber?  When the air leaks out of the positive chamber, I think it either over pressurises the negative chamber or just leaks into the lowers. In the latter case it might not escape the lowers and also effectively pressurises the negative side. That affects the way the forks behave.

On the damping side, could well be fixed by new seals. Not heard of the dirt under the cap being an issue, unless the cap is really loose. But I could be mistaken.

Jon, I've got a sneaking feeling that there's a system of valves and ports which may be designed to allow the pressurised negative air chamber to some extent to re-pressurise the positive side under compression. Hence working the fork makes the spring improve a little. That of course doesn't mean anything to the damping.  Dunno if that makes sense?

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
I had an issue with my RS rev in that the air in the air chambers weren't balanced and as a result had lost some travel.
I let all the air out completely and re pressurised and they have worked fine ever since, but they were new  :-\  you could give it a go I suppose?

Ian I reckon lockout works on the oil side of things (damping) so it sounds though you need to have a look at the internals or just send it for servicing..... Try Loco the are very good.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:49:01 PM by Rob.T »

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
Got a feeling Loco isn't trading anymore??

Just had a thought
I guess even if the air is leaking should be fixable with new seals?
If there's wear/damage inside the uppers then a seal might not fix it. Just to warn you  :-\

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Cheers all, think I will take them to lodge, even if a bit more of a drive now probably easier than posting them off, and cheaper. Plus they've done a great job in the past. Sounds like a bit to many possibilities for me to dare pulling them apart, just hope are sortable at a reasonable price!

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
Popped into Lodge yesterday but had to get them sent away as damper knackered :-(

Hoping will be done under warrenty, should be as only 14 months old but being an idiot I've failed to keep any record of purchase  :'(

No real difference in time between driving to the britton fery place  and the new place given how long it could take to drive through Britton Ferry

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 07:05:17 AM »

No real difference in time between driving to the britton fery place  and the new place given how long it could take to drive through Britton Ferry
:o
#handbraketurnsthroughcwmavon !!

Hope it's successful, if they agree, I bet you they just send you a new one  :)

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
More like #howmanydozeypensionerswanttoblockallthetrafficinBrittonFerry  >:(  ;D

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Good luck with the damper Ian.  FYI; you can use you bank statement as proof of purchase if it's a fault.  From the moneysavingexpert site:
With faulty goods, you simply need to prove purchase. This could be the receipt, but any other legitimate record - such as a bank statement - should be fine.

However, if you've no legal right but are simply utilising a store's return policy, then you'll need a receipt if that's what the policy says.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells