Author Topic: More help required for trail maintenance  (Read 740 times)

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
More help required for trail maintenance
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »
While there are more and more people riding in Clyne we've been having some trouble getting people to help maintain the trails.

We've had low turnout on the last few dig days and even had to cancel the last one due to lack of numbers. Chris puts alot of time into organising dig days, transporting the tools etc. and it is unfair to expect him and the few regulars to give up their time and do all the work, maintaining the trails that you ride so often. We need more help.

We've thought about different ways to get more people involved including running evening sessions, and Chris has posted up on Facebook - please comment if you see that - and I'm asking you guys for ideas?

Would a Thursday evening be a good option? There are plenty out on fine summer evenings after all. Chris could bring the tools and you could all put in a couple of hours before riding a bit later. I know that you'd rather ride, but wouldn't we all.

Please put some thought into this as we're running short of options
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
Re: More help required for trail maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
I can help out on Thursday
Other evenings I'm working
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
Thanks Steve, Chris has gone for Wed 29th for the next one

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »
I'll be there for Wednesday

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »
I think maybe we should make use of the Facebook event attendance list more.  It allows people to confirm if they're definitely coming or not.  Make it clear that the event only happens if the minimum amount of people have marked themselves as such, a few days before the event?  That solves the problem of dig days being cancelled at the last minute and people wasting a journey.

I don't like the idea of a dig day happening instead of the Thursday ride.  If we start trying to press gang people from the Thursday ride into working the trails on the day then people will stop turning up on Thursdays.  It's a good time to try organise a date for a dig day in the pub afterwards though?  Also a good time to speak to those who don't look on Facebook so much.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
I'm hoping the 29th will be ok for me. It is at the moment.
Slower than the speed of dark

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
I think maybe we should make use of the Facebook event attendance list more.  It allows people to confirm if they're definitely coming or not.  Make it clear that the event only happens if the minimum amount of people have marked themselves as such, a few days before the event?  That solves the problem of dig days being cancelled at the last minute and people wasting a journey.
much.

Yes, good idea. We've tried this before and have had some success, although people don't always show up when they say they will. We've currently got 8 who have said they will attend and 7 interested on the FB group for Wednesday this week so lets see how that goes.

I don't like the idea of a dig day happening instead of the Thursday ride.  If we start trying to press gang people from the Thursday ride into working the trails on the day then people will stop turning up on Thursdays.  It's a good time to try organise a date for a dig day in the pub afterwards though?  Also a good time to speak to those who don't look on Facebook so much.
Personally I'd rather a different day too. This was only suggested as an option for people who are only free from other commitments on a Thursday. I know people really do want to dig if they can, so no press gang will be required, its just that we need to offer everyone the opportunity to help.

As I've not been a Thursday night regular for some time it is hard for me (or Chris) to use the pub to organise these events. Perhaps you or one of the other Pigs could co-ordinate with Chris on this one?

Currently we have a good response for Wednesday evening so hopefully this is a goer :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:14:11 PM by Bils »