Author Topic: Muddy tyres  (Read 1736 times)

ChrisHigs

• Weaner
Muddy tyres
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »
I think it was Dom that suggested I should probably get some mud tyres for Clyne. I've currently got Michelin Country Trail tyres that came with my bike.

Do you have different tyres that you swap for different conditions or times of year? Will Clyne ever not be muddy? What tyres are good for mud? And if I get some will my current ones be ok if it ever dries up?

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Muddy tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
Ha!  I think Dom has been pulling your leg if that's the case!  I don't think any of us swap tyres around for the winter conditions.  And a mud tyre, whilst it would seem to be a good idea for Clyne, you might be surprised how much of the descents are hardpack and not very fun with a spiky mud tyre.

Maybe what he was suggesting is that you get some better general purpose tyres?  I don't know what tyres are compatible with your wheels but a few of us ride year long with Maxxis Minion DHF tyres for the front and either another DHF on the back or a DHR.  They're big, heavy tyres but give great, predictable grip most of the time.  Good for descending but not so great for climbing so depends what you want I guess.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

ChrisHigs

• Weaner
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
Ah, ok. I think I must have misunderstood Dom a bit then. I think he must have just meant some better tyres that would suit the descents better. He definitely didn't say anything about swapping tyres but I was wondering if people do have tyres they change over for winter or summer.

If I take my tyres off will it be much easier going up without the added weight?

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »
There are definitely people who change their tyres depending on the conditions but I try not to hang out with those sorts of people.

Yes you should definitely take your tyres off to make climbing up the hills easier.  Maybe cut grooves in the rim so it can bit into the ground a bit more.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
The answer here is to run different tyres on different bikes and change your bike according to conditions! ???

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:10 PM »
It may have been me when I noticed that you still had the originl tyres on the bike and said that you could probably do with better quality, more knoblierer rubber!
Slower than the speed of dark

ChrisHigs

• Weaner
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
There are definitely people who change their tyres depending on the conditions but I try not to hang out with those sorts of people.

Yes you should definitely take your tyres off to make climbing up the hills easier.  Maybe cut grooves in the rim so it can bit into the ground a bit more.

Sounds like a plan. I wonder how well it would cope with going down hill.

ChrisHigs

• Weaner
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »
The answer here is to run different tyres on different bikes and change your bike according to conditions! ???

Would an e-bike be better suited to winter or summer conditions? ;)

ChrisHigs

• Weaner
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »
It may have been me when I noticed that you still had the originl tyres on the bike and said that you could probably do with better quality, more knoblierer rubber!

Yes, I think it was you talking about my knobly bits, or lack thereof.

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:42 PM »
I finaly got round to fitting a Maxxis Beaver tyre, it's got far more tread than my usual xc style tyre. Impressions so far have been pretty good.
I ran a Bontrager SE4 team tyre front when on the HT, which dealt well with mud and wet roots.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »

Would an e-bike be better suited to winter or summer conditions? ;)
Careful,  you will incur the wrath of the Jon-bike haters!  ;)

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
I finaly got round to fitting a Maxxis Beaver tyre, it's got far more tread than my usual xc style tyre. Impressions so far have been pretty good.

I've just got a couple of beavers in the post  so we'll probably have  heat wave for the next 6 months. Was finding even rocket rons struggling for grip on the gower mud. Bit dubious about them as a front tyre but will see, might go down Clyne Sat AM and find as much mud as possible!

Up till now been just changing rear tyre (keeping rocket ron on front) between summer and winter, racing ralph in summer, rocket ron in winter. seems to be the default option for xc type riding.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »

I've just got a couple of beavers in the post  so we'll probably have  heat wave for the next 6 months. Was finding even rocket rons struggling for grip on the gower mud. Bit dubious about them as a front tyre but will see, might go down Clyne Sat AM and find as much mud as possible!

Up till now been just changing rear tyre (keeping rocket ron on front) between summer and winter, racing ralph in summer, rocket ron in winter. seems to be the default option for xc type riding.
https://youtu.be/zhyCL-ELRxg

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
spent an hour or so in the garage last night with my two beavers, pumped as hard as i could for a bit, filled them full of white gunk and then pumped them again  :D

rode the beavers this morning, the rear is good, nice and assured, the front seems slightly twitchy over multiple roots  :o ;D

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
spent an hour or so in the garage last night with my two beavers, pumped as hard as i could for a bit, filled them full of white gunk and then pumped them again  :D

rode the beavers this morning, the rear is good, nice and assured, the front seems slightly twitchy over multiple roots  :o ;D

If it works I'm going to give my tyres the best 22secs of their life tonight too !  :o
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!