Author Topic: Scotland 2016  (Read 5669 times)

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Scotland 2016
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Anyone fancy a trip to Scotland this year?

My Brother and I are likely to be heading up there at the end of May to support my Mum doing the Edinburgh half marathon so figured we might as well make a trip of it.  Planning on riding either the last week of May or the first week of June.  Aiming for the usual 7 Staines trails plus maybe a few DH runs or the like.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
Re: Scotland 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »
Could be tempted by this my mate is also doing the marathon

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
I have the caveat of a threatened abroad trip. And I want to know when it's bad for midges!  ;) Apart from that yay!  :)

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
It was a blast last time !
First week of June better for me
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
Could we combine Scotland and do the Batch Burner on the way home?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:15:41 PM by Rob.T »

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
Could we combine Scotland and do the Batch Burner on the way home?
Great idea. 11th June . Dunno if that lines up with Tristan's dates?

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:06:44 AM »
11th June would be the end of the second week of June so doesn't really line up to when I'll be up there.

Is the Batch burner that far away that it warrants coming back from Scotland a day early and missing a days riding up there even if the dates did match up? On the map Church Stretton doesn't look that far.

Don't think Scotland will interfere with any abroad trips Andy. Both is the plan! I'm pretty sure it's always midge season up there though.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:55:10 AM »
11th June would be the end of the second week of June so doesn't really line up to when I'll be up there.

Is the Batch burner that far away that it warrants coming back from Scotland a day early and missing a days riding up there even if the dates did match up? On the map Church Stretton doesn't look that far.

Don't think Scotland will interfere with any abroad trips Andy. Both is the plan! I'm pretty sure it's always midge season up there though.
Nah, I zoomed Google maps right out and it's only 2 pixels from Swansea!  ;D

100 miles
https://goo.gl/maps/yhVQ9AVXsdr

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Yea exactly.  That looks far enough away that it would make sense to try make a weekend of the riding up there but i'm not fussed on trying to incorporate it into the Scotland return journey.

Also, after Scotland, I like the idea of having a week in between for me to put my bike back together and repair everything i'll have broken!

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
I could be interested in a Scotland trip, though I'd quite fancy trying somewhere like knilochleven. (must admit I wouldn't mind trying an abroad trip to! - I'm in a sort of limbo atm with my hand though - waiting to hear about the operation.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
What's in Knilochleven?  And looking on the map that's pretty much in Fort William which is a good few hours away from where I was planning on being!

Brendawg

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
  • Where's my rock/ sledgehammer?
    • That crash from Snowdon
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
If I can get it past her indoors, I'm up for this. 1st week of June would be best, as its half term so my brother could come too
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five
DMR Drone of unknown vintage - The Stealth Bomber

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
Update to this. 

Likely going to be aiming for the week of the 30th for riding.  My Mum's about from the 27th to the 30th so i'll likely be based close to Glentress until the 30th then maybe re-locate to somewhere around Dumfries to do the rest of the trails.

Places i'm considering riding are:

Glentress Black
Glentress Red
Glentress skills area
Innerleithen XC
Innerleithen DH
Ae XC
Ae DH
Kirroughtree
Dumfries
Dalbeattie
Drumlanrig
Mabie
Newcastleton

With always the possibility of going up to see the For William WC 4th / 5th June (This is very unlikely).

Anyone got anything to add?  I doubt anyone else is going to want to come up for meals with my family (trust me on this) so I assume Curt and I are likely to ride a few trails before anyone else arrives.  Is there anything in the list above that you're not fussed on riding or even that you think it's that bad that you'd suggest I not ride it either?

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
Still interested in a biking hols - be that Scotland or further afield. Waiting for my hand to be sorted is a sticking point for me.
Would also be interested in going to see the world cup.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
Hope the hand is getting better Craig!

I've booked off from Fri 27th May to Sun 5th June.  Booked accom for my brother and I in Edinburgh from 27th to 31st May.  Going to book accom closer to Dumfries for the rest until come back on Sunday 5th.