Author Topic: Bike  (Read 1807 times)

bondy321

• Piglet
Bike
« on: December 19, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
Looking at getting a road bike whats a good first cheap bike?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Bike
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
Where to start?...... you could buy mine if you like, it's a Kinesis t2 racelight with hope hubs, carbon fork and just had a fresh winter service.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
Loads of cheap sale bikes ATM. Go for something with a more relaxed geometry for a 1st one. If you get something with the stem slammed on the head tube and find it's too low you can't change it without a new fork. I would aim for Sora components and aim for £600 to £1000 RRP, which you might get for a lot less. I'm thinking of a new one and will be looking for disc brakes, personally I think rim brakes are hideous. However, I'm not sure what quality disc brakes you'd be able to get on a starter bike? Maybe OK at the top end of that price bracket??

Oh And ask some real roadies 'cos we're just pretend ones!  ;)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
. I'm thinking of a new one and will be looking for disc brakes, personally I think rim brakes are hideous. However, I'm not sure what quality disc brakes you'd be able to get on a starter bike? Maybe OK at the top end of that price bracket??

As I said before, stick some decent caliper brakes on eg Ultegra, which aren't too expensive, and you'll see a world of difference.
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
. I'm thinking of a new one and will be looking for disc brakes, personally I think rim brakes are hideous. However, I'm not sure what quality disc brakes you'd be able to get on a starter bike? Maybe OK at the top end of that price bracket??

As I said before, stick some decent caliper brakes on eg Ultegra, which aren't too expensive, and you'll see a world of difference.

TBH I'd be better off braking BMX style!  :P

JEM

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
I've got a spesh allez with sora components in very good condition. Approx 100 dry miles only ridden. For sale £350

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
I've got a spesh allez with sora components in very good condition. Approx 100 dry miles only ridden. For sale £350

Hiya Jem!! Does that mean you're coming back to MTBing?!  ;)  8) How you keeping?

JEM

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
Hi Pilau, I'm good thanks, how about you ?
I'm still on the road bike, my son is selling the Allez.
Have you a Xmas Eve ride planned this year ?
J

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
I know next to nothing about road bikes, but if you're looking to buy new it always seems to me that Ribble and PlanetX offer some very attractive deals:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/clearance/clearance-bikes
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

A knowledgeable roadie/brand snob will be along in a minute to explain why I'm talking rubbish…

BTW hiya Jem!
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Hi Pilau, I'm good thanks, how about you ?
I'm still on the road bike, my son is selling the Allez.
Have you a Xmas Eve ride planned this year ?
J

I'm good too thanks Jem. Yes 9:30 Bishopston: http://www.mtbpigs.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3047.msg31699#msg31699
 8) Coming?

JEM

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »
I've got man flu at mo. If I can dig the bike out of garage and feel ok, I'll join you.
If not Merry Xmas to you all.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
I've got man flu at mo. If I can dig the bike out of garage and feel ok, I'll join you.
If not Merry Xmas to you all.

And MC to you too, if we don't see you  8) get well soon!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Bondy, Road.cc have an article which details Giants 2016 bikes. Crucially, it gives an insight into frame geometries. When I bought mine, I got lucky and chose a frame that suited me without knowing any of this stuff  ;)
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/173754-your-complete-guide-giant%E2%80%99s-2016-road-bikes
May help? ;)