Author Topic: Winter is coming  (Read 1041 times)

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
Winter is coming
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
It may be warm and sunny today but before we know it we will be in the grip of winter mud. It is time to think about winter trail maintenance including;
  • cleaning out the drainage channels
  • create new drainage where necessary to avoid standing water
  • raking the leaves off the trails
First priority is the way marked loop but we could also look at some of the other trails also.. e.g. the holes on plonker which are getting quite big now. Ideally we'd have a couple of sessions; one after there first big leaf drop and then another one a few weeks later once most of them have fallen.

Many hands make light work so please find some dates in your diary and post them below. That way we can organise a dig day when most people are available.

Thanks
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Winter is coming
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »
I don't know specific dates but most weekends with a bit of notice I should be able to help out.

Not sure where you mean on Plonker, i think that's pretty perfect as it is.  Rodney has a few points that form small puddles that maybe could be looked at but the big puddle I think should be left as is.  It's a good challenge trying to get around it.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
the big puddle I think should be left as is.  It's a good challenge trying to get around it.

We could improve the challenge by putting some alligators in it...
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
Pretty sure the clyne bears pee in it when no-one's looking!
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
Not sure where you mean on Plonker, i think that's pretty perfect as it is.  Rodney has a few points that form small puddles that maybe could be looked at but the big puddle I think should be left as is.  It's a good challenge trying to get around it.
You're right I meant Rodney and if you guys like the holes then they should stay.. it was just an example anyway

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
I don't know specific dates but most weekends with a bit of notice I should be able to help out.

Thanks Tristan, it will be a couple of weeks before the leaves start to drop properly anyway.

The main reason for this post is that I am looking to build a bit of momentum as we get closer to the time. The last couple of dig days have had to be cancelled due to lack of numbers. Also some suggestions about what needs doing other than on the waymarked loop.

Ta

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
I hate to  be so vague with a reply - I'll try my best to attend, but I cant commit, got quite a few things planned for the coming few months of weekends - all of which are dependant on the weather and if I get news about my hand operation.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
The longer the notice the more likely I can get time off to help out 👍
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »
At least a few days notice and I will do my best to help out