Author Topic: Warranty and my broken bike  (Read 1311 times)

Ground Sloth

• Porker
Warranty and my broken bike
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
As a few of you know, the chainstay on my 10-mth-old Ghost Cagua 6541 (Ghost has same parent co as Lapierre, and the same Importer/Uk Distributor I believe) snapped on the Cader Idris weekend in April.  This is on top of the fact that I'd only just reported the demise of the Ei Shock system controls that this bike has.

Since then I have been to and fro with emails and the odd phone call with Ubyk who I got it from, who to be fair while things haven't rocketed along have never been anything other than polite and positive (I have remained polite and courteous, while also gently pressing for progress throughout - I believe thats far more likely to get positive assistance than getting stroppy).  Ubyk took it up with Hotlines the Importer, who in turn dealt with Ghost.

Last week I got told that Ghost had sent over a new chainstay part, and Hotlines confirmed that they would fit the revised latest Ei controls instead of my 2013 original version (I've been told that there has been a few of these fall over, so I'm guessing they'll not quibble about mine).

TNT came in and collected my bike (luckily I'd kept the original box so could wrap it up easily) on Wednesday to deliver back to Hotlines in Abingdon.

So, its all been pretty positive so far!  Now, I'm not counting my chickens just yet (you have to expect Hotlines to want to check my chainstay and be happy its a genuine warrantable failure - businesses aren't charities after all) but so far it seems that Ghost and their Distribution chain do actually pay more than just lip service to after-sales, so that's a good sign.

Seeing as a friend took his expensive carbon Santa Cruz back to the Cardiff shop he purchased it from recently with play in the main chainstay pivot and found the reception he got to be bloody awful (which also proved that the shop knew sod-all about the product sold, as it turned out he found out himself on-line that the SC Solo has some sort of adjustable bearing so it only needed a tweak)..... I am (so far) encouraged by my experience with all concerned.

Seeing as we are all concerned when we buy something as pricey as a full suss Mtb just how the product will be supported, I thought I'd share (and will happily post about the final outcome).

G.
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Warranty and my broken bike
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
Well that's some nice positive news for a change.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Update!  Good news!

I just got a phone call and Ubyk are shipping back my repaired Ghost Cagua tomorrow!  They have replaced the broken chainstay, and also updated the Ei shock system to the 2015 improved version as well, and all under Warranty.

We all know that stuff can break, even the best get the odd failure (I was told by Ubyk staff that they've not had any other Ghost chainstay fails and my own internet searching suggested its a rare thing - I couldn't find any other UK instances, and only one USA forum reference to a Lector model c-stay fail).  Its when it happens that the standard of after-sales that follows is key - a good experience really puts the shine back on and restores faith in the product.

So I'm a happy MTB-er, and credit where its due to Ghost Bikes, Hotlines (the Main Ghost Importer/Distributor) and Ubyk Oxford (who I bought the bike from).  Firms always get hammered when stuff goes wrong, so its only right that they get some kudos when they stand by their products and give good after-sales IMO. 

I'm looking forward to taking delivery and then getting back out on my bike - I've been proper lazy this last couple of weeks!

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
Glad to hear it mate hope to see u out soon

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Result!  8)

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
Cheers guys.  Got the bike back yesterday pm delivered to work.  Other commitments and working all weekend mean I won't even get the chance to put the pedals back on it until next week dammit, but its great to have it back.

New Ei Shock system is simplified and looks more 'elegant' and less fussy - there's also no removable display head unit any more - so that's one less thing to go wrong.  I'm told its meant to be much improved over the original version as well as much more robust, with much more testing on it pre-release - the battery is smaller and also offset (like a bike pump mount) so you could run a drinks bottle cage now if I wanted to, whereas you could not before.  So my bike should actually be improved over original - I can't wait to get out and go for a ride.

My rear tyre is also well worn - and the OE's are Nobby Nics, which I have never really liked on the front.  I'm thinking of chucking the front barely worn Nobby Nic onto the rear (tight git that I am), and putting a Hans Dampf on the front instead? 

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
I have a pair of barely worn in Nobby Nics going cheap if you fancy them. I'd also rate the Hans Dampf.
Slower than the speed of dark

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:19 PM »
I have a pair of barely worn in Nobby Nics going cheap if you fancy them. I'd also rate the Hans Dampf.
I've always found the nobby nic on the front to be a bit... vague.  Not very confidence-inspiring and doesn't seem to 'bite' and grip when turning in - esp. when its wet (so most of the time then!).

I'm not worried about it on the rear - I dare say a NN will push a bike and wheezing pilot along pretty much as well as most others 95% of the time, but I do need to have faith in the pointy end - hence the idea of banishing the front NN to the back and just buying a HD front.
I think I'd only ever chuck a NN on the back end - never on the front again.
Having said all that.... what are you shouting for em?  :)

Edit:  You know my bike is a 650B?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:55:26 PM by Ground Sloth »

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
Give me a tenner and they are yours. (I hate them with a passion - the most useless tyres I've ever used. I'm not exactly heavy on my tyres - I've never felt the need for dual ply - but these things were so, so bad. They punctured every single time I used them until I pumped them up so hard they had no grip at all and I rode down Bluescar like a newbie. And then they pinch-punctured! Not selling them well, am I?  ;D )

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
Oh, don't give me a tenner - these are 26". I'll have to burn them now...

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »
Oh, don't give me a tenner - these are 26". I'll have to burn them now...
I only thought about the wheel size afterwards - so used to it being 650B that I don't think about it.

Your post about the NN's got me thinking though... cos I've had quite a few pinch-flats too.  I just put it down to me running them a bit too soft (in search of grip/confidence maybe?) along with me being too porky and a bit rubbish and cack-handed.  I didn't think they were too bad (admittedly that is after experiencing truly abysmal OE Kenda Super 8's on my 29-er that'd puncture if you so much as looked at them) but now I'm not so sure!

Just ordered a Hans Dampf 2.35" from CPC to wang on the front.  60-odd very positive Reviews plus your own endorsement, so apart from the 34 (for a bleedin bicycle tyre! :o) its all good.

Edit: should read 'CRC' (CPC is an electrical goods supplier - DOH!)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:10:31 PM by Ground Sloth »

Ianapp

• Shoat
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
I'm on it