Author Topic: New bike, what to buy,  (Read 4013 times)

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: New bike, what to buy,
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 09:23:34 AM »
If you butcher your bike you'd still be left with the wheels that you don't want.  You're better off getting a full bike I reckon.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 12:45:46 PM »
If you butcher your bike you'd still be left with the wheels that you don't want.  You're better off getting a full bike I reckon.

Your 100% right but rocking up with a new bike is a no go atm, I just managed to pick up a cube ams frame for 160, had to buy a shock separately for 200 all brand new btw it's a 29er but means I'll save a bit as I can use my fork and wheels/tyres, ordered a new wheel at the same time along with bb headset etc so once built I'll have a 120mm 29er costing about 500 but will still be able to recoup some money when selling it, at least I'll be running a full sus, it only needs to last till Feb then I can spend big on something I really want, plus the missus has no clue how much I spent lol

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
I did Gorlech last night on my 2012 Giant Talon Zero 29er HT. So stepping back from full suss (as my Ghost is still wrapped up in red tape and awaiting parts from Ghost / Hotlines).

You know what - it wasnt too awful on the HT,  but it was slower and harder to xc singletrack and descend.  I was surprised that the HT frame didn't bother me as much as the ropey front fork,  but on corrugated type sharp serial bumps the wheels wouldnt track but bounced all over the gaff.  The lack of contact, grip and control due to little (f) & none (r) suspension was a clear disadvantage over full suss with better quality travel and damping.  Landing over small humps an baby tables jarred and was decidely more sketchy, with a couple of minor detours resulting.

I reckon you'll really enjoy your budget build full suss 29er Richard if my recent reminder of HT riding is anything to go by - I  cant wait to get my fs back.

G.
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
My new rear wheel turned up yesterday, and the frame shock etc was ordered at the same time so hopefully won't be to long till I get them, although I cocked up my order and need to reorder some bits when it gets here, so hopefully next week I'll be out on the full sus,

cube ams frame, monarch rt3 shock, raceface cranks, and a new headset, bb, and rear axle brakes fork and drive train all conning of old bike so cost about 500 total, the shock was the biggest outlay as I couldn't find a cheaper one in the size/travel I needed but should be fine I'll recoup most of it when I sell the bike eventually, I hope lol

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
Nice one! which race face cranks did you get?

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
Who knew building a bike would be such a minefield, so I ended up ordering a complete new drive train mix of xt Slx and deore bits, needed to spend money getting the 9 speed working so bit the bullet and bought full 10 speed so thought that was it and went to fit the back break only to find the rotor is not compatible and the brake pipe is to short would have cost me 30 to extend the pipe lol, brakes are only 30 a pair from chain reaction, so ended upgrading to a better rear break, once they arrive I'll be back out yay,

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
Ouch!  At least parts are relatively cheap.  Reckon you'll be out Thurs?
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 12:08:21 AM »
Brake arrived today will fit tomorrow, missed the delivery so will pick it up tomorrow and prob hit kilvey for a test run all going well I'll be out Thursday, gonna kill my legs not rode since Cadair,

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 07:35:08 AM »

Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »

Why don't u come out Thursday and bask in its glory, lol

Looks a bit like Frankensteins monster atm no matching bits

Will send one later when I get home

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
I would come out Thursday but my lame excuse this week is I'm on holiday in Greece! ;)
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
I would come out Thursday but my lame excuse this week is I'm on holiday in Greece! ;)

Nice hope u enjoy,

took her out for a test run today and oh my God I have been missing out, soooo much better lol can't wait to hit Clyne tomorrow

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:59 AM »
Haha! Glad you feel the benefits of it. Should see you up Clyne tomorrow then!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »

Nice hope u enjoy,

took her out for a test run today and oh my God I have been missing out, soooo much better lol can't wait to hit Clyne tomorrow

;D