Author Topic: New bike, what to buy,  (Read 4012 times)

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
Re: New bike, what to buy,
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »
Metal or plastic (carbon)? :D

For the kind of money I'm spending I recon metal, any carbon bike will be lower spec,

How long before you take the plunge?  New years stock usually comes in around July I think (yea don't ask me how that makes sense) so previous years models are often done on deals to free up space. 
Everyone seems to be loving the new Commencal direct orders for that sort of money.  Not sure if they do finance?
Ideally if you can wait a while you'll get a chance to go to one of the demo days to try out some likely steeds.  Like Graham says though, it pays to try something you'd actually get rather than the most expensive option you can find.

Soonish I hope but Im not certain might be worth waiting
There's a demo day in glyncorrwg next weekend, try a few bikes there. I'd recommend an orange five s for around that money

Is that the weekend of the 9th? Where do u find out about demo days?

Defo looking at 27.5

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »

Michael.R

• Clyne Rider *
  • Spider-pig
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
Have to say the commencal look like very good value.

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14495036 under £1500 so money to buy a dropper aswell!

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »

Is that the weekend of the 9th? Where do u find out about demo days?

Defo looking at 27.5

Demo day info on the Skyline site: http://www.skylinecycles.co.uk/
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
So I just ran the idea past the missus and it was not well received lol this might take some work  :P

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Rich Rich Rich, a lot to learn you have young Jedi! Never ever ask SWMBO IF you can get a new bike, the answer will always be no  ;D :D
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
So I just ran the idea past the missus

what on EARTH did you do that for?!?  :o

Tell her that you know you're going to be getting a full suss at some point, and that due to the combination of a recent change of standard wheel size and the weakness of the euro1 (basically a once-in-a-lifetime event) the prices available in the Commencal online 'outlet' are truly unbeatable! Surely that will be meta* with approval?

1rumour has it that 26" wheels are still compatible with modern trail standards

*see what I did there...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:38:27 PM by domparkes »
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
It's simple, you explain that your current bike is uneconomical to maintain due to the riding you are doing and the level of components, it's going to need a grand spent on it to fix bits and make it safe, so it is better to sell it while you are ahead and get something more suited which will actually be cheaper in the long run. It works just as well with components, it's how I got my new wheelset before Xmas, and how I will be acquiring an xt 11 speed groupset when it comes out in the summer!

Either that or just buy it and get it delivered to work.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »
Oooof, that's a good looking machine! Full carbon with XT for under £2k, it's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the fcuking century....in fact, fcuk it, I think I'll buy it myself...  ;D  ;)

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16307
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:31:37 PM by Pace Ian »
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
Oooof, that's a good looking machine! Full carbon with XT for under £2k, it's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the fcuking century....in fact, fcuk it, I think I'll buy it myself...  ;D  ;)

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16307
that does look good!  Same money as I paid last year, similar shimano kit.  I got a better fork i think & shimano slx brakes, but this is a carbon frame - wow!
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »
Well she made a good point, I'm halfway through an atic conversion that needs about 2k spending on it doh, but now that I've prewarned her I can say I but a ridiculously low bid on eBay and got it lol still might wait a couple of months if the 2016 bikes are going to be out soon see if I can snatch a bargain

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
So just spotted the Titus el guapo 29er frame and an on one codine frame on the on one website, very reasonable prices for new frame and shock, possibly able to butcher my bike to make a full suss I k ow Andre has a Titus and had problems with it recently anyone got any thoughts on these bikes?

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
A while back, before Andre bought his, I had spotted the el G (26" version) and thought it looked like a good bike at a very good price (the fully-built bile was very well specced). I mentioned it to Andre because I knew he was looking around for a full sus, and it turned out it was already on his radar. Having seen it in action and got Andre's thoughts on it over the last year or so, I'd say it's a good bike in terms of how it performs but there are perhaps issues relating to the design which make it less than perfectly suited to British (especially Welsh) mud and gloop. I think Andre would agree. I'm not referring to the broken chainstay - I think that was a bit of a freak thing rather than something they're prone to. But bearings and bushings seem to get a bit of a hammering.

Best to get Andre's views directly of course, but for what it's worth my opinion was originally 'I'd have one of those'. Now it's not - unless perhaps I was on a budget and it was incredibly cheap.
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
I got a 0% on purchases credit card out to buy my bike, got a discount from the bike shop and paid with the cc, spreading the cost over 14 months.

27.5 is the way - im seeing 26" stuff becoming less available. I bought a 2013 scott scale 27.5 last year, I got around 33% off. :-)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:29:21 PM by caf »