Author Topic: New bike, what to buy,  (Read 4260 times)

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
New bike, what to buy,
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
Ok so I know I'm going to open a can of worms here but I'm starting to look at full sus bikes to try and budjet what Im going to need, at the moment I'm looking at arround the £2000-£2500 Mark, as much as I'd love a YT or a Canyon there are no intrest free finance options for these so I can count them out, I like the look of the lapierres spicy/zesty , giant reign, kona process and the Orange alpine, I'm looking for 140+ travel, are there any other options I'm missing out on and what are your guys opinions of these

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
Re: New bike, what to buy,
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
Metal or plastic (carbon)? :D
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
I'm not knowledgeable enough by a long way, and was in the same boat as you when I took the plunge last June.

I ended up with my Ghost Cagua for much the same reasons as you - wanted the most 'bang for my buck', decent travel, suspension and drivetrain and ideally zero %.  The Ghost fulfilled all of those.

Ok, it's broken a chainstay - which they say is the only fail they have had with a Ghost and that they are normally robust (I've had email traffic ongoing from Ubyk and they are least have clearly stated they'll do their best working with the main Importer Hotlines to sort it for me soonest) - but overall I've been happy with and liked the bike.  Its a bit heavy, but it is on the slack and descending end of things with 160mm, and it does seem to descend well.

However... my mate lent me his Santa Cruz Carbon 650B last night (sorry I'm crap, so dunno which one, cept its not the Bronson but the more all-rounder one) and we lapped Gorlech, Brechfa.  I was warned by another lad that the SC Carbon was so good esp. at climbing that I'd regret ever getting on it if I couldn't afford one.... and damn it he could well be right!  I did the climbs easier and quicker on that SC than I've ever managed before - no question.  I also actually cleaned a (only v small) tabletop on the trail unexpectedly and unplanned - I was carrying more speed and the lighter bike practically did it for me!

Its more 'lively' than my bike (maybe its what I'm used to, but the 32mm Fox fork with less travel on the SC was the only bit I felt I liked better on my Ghost, which has 34mm Fox Talas 160mm), which is partly as its not quite a slack I think, but also as its so light and spins the cranks so well, that I found myself pulling higher gears on the climbs and XC than I normally manage.  I think I'll really, really miss feeling like I'm able to climb well (for me) when I'm back on more affordable tackle.

So... my only advice would be...don't be tempted to test ride anything you can't actually afford to buy - its not good for you  :)!

G.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:07:00 AM by Ground Sloth »
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »
How long before you take the plunge?  New years stock usually comes in around July I think (yea don't ask me how that makes sense) so previous years models are often done on deals to free up space. 
Everyone seems to be loving the new Commencal direct orders for that sort of money.  Not sure if they do finance?
Ideally if you can wait a while you'll get a chance to go to one of the demo days to try out some likely steeds.  Like Graham says though, it pays to try something you'd actually get rather than the most expensive option you can find.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Brendawg

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
  • Where's my rock/ sledgehammer?
    • That crash from Snowdon
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
There's a demo day in glyncorrwg next weekend, try a few bikes there. I'd recommend an orange five s for around that money
The fleet;
2012 Orange Five
DMR Drone of unknown vintage - The Stealth Bomber

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
Orange 5's have a very good rep. Having bought an ex-demo bike I'd say don't buy an ex-demo bike. Ok I have saved money, but I've got quite a bit of hassle along the way. In general I'm very happy with my Nukeproof. It's a tad lazier in the corners than the old bike and the back end can get a bit wild under emergency braking. But I'm liking it. They're very cheap on CRC at the mo.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
I've not ridden any of those but would be tempted by the Kona. In fact I've been wondering whether I can afford (and find) an end of season discounted Kona Precept in the autumn - the little brother of the Process.

Slower than the speed of dark

Michael.R

• Clyne Rider *
  • Spider-pig
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
Go to the skyline demo day, its worth it. Have they also still got that rocky mountain thunderbolt down from 3000 to 1500? ;)

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:52:43 AM »
The Rocky Mountain is still listed on the skyline website under sale bikes, worth a phone call to see: http://www.skylinecycles.co.uk
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »
Richard .... 26inch or 27.5 inch wheels ?

Only reason why is the 2014 / early 2015 26inch bikes are soooo much cheaper.
Some 2014 models are half price :)

Worth a looksie
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
Personslly I'd go 27.5" as thats the way the majority of 'do it all' trail bikes are going especially if all the doom & gloom around 26" is to be believed
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar

Ground Sloth

• Porker
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
Richard .... 26inch or 27.5 inch wheels ?

Only reason why is the 2014 / early 2015 26inch bikes are soooo much cheaper.
Some 2014 models are half price :)

Worth a looksie
I know Richard is going from a 29-er HT to his new FS... I did the same.  I found that riding my mates 26" Orange 5 was a blast on the climbs and level-ish singletrack (I rode Blade on it)... but after my 29-er's stability the wee wheels freaked me out descending - it was well twitchy and I couldn't get confident (and normally going down with gravity is my better feature of an admittedly average skillset  :)!)

I however felt instantly at home and comfortable with the 650B/27.5" bike - the benefit of faster steering in the tight stuff, but with good stability when letting the brakes off and letting it run.

Richard is also a bigger fella than me too.  I can only speak from personal experience - and there's no way I'd have gone the big drop to 26" after running a 29-er.  Even jumping on a 650B I'd never sat on straight round the Gorlech lst night clicked well, so I reckon 27.5" will be the way to go.

Edit:  Just looked at the Sunset Linky - and they have a Santa Cruz Solo C on demo - 99% certain that's what I rode last night.  Richard -DO NOT RIDE IT - or you'll be wondering how the hell you can justify doubling your budget, financed maybe by selling your first-born, or a kidney etc.  :)!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:22:14 PM by Ground Sloth »
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »