Author Topic: Message to all Pigs forum members  (Read 2658 times)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Re: Message to all Pigs forum members
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
FIRE IN THE HOLD!!

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks for sorting the hosting Dom - I have a vague hope to make it out Thursday (1st time in a long while) if I don't I'll paypal it over to you.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed (or said they'll be contributing) so far. Just bumping the original post here for anyone who might not have seen it:

The MTB Pigs website/forum hosting contract is due for renewal. When I originally purchased a hosting package three years ago (following an untimely disappearing act by the previous web host) it cost about 90 (I think) for three years - a very good deal, particularly given that it was with a large and reasonably respectable hosting provider (rather than with a fly-by-night operator that gives poor uptime and then eventually goes bust - plenty of those about).

It's due for renewal in a couple of weeks, and the renewal price with the existing provider is now at their normal price (rather than introductory offer price) of about 64 a year. At first I thought blimey that's a lot, I'll move it somewhere else - particularly as they want me to pay for three years up front again. However, looking around at what it would cost for a similar package of services (we need a certain server spec to run the forum properly) from a reputable provider, it's actually about the going rate these days. Sure, we could switch and save perhaps 10 or 15 a year, but frankly it would involve a fair bit of hassle (for me) and I'm not really sure I can be bothered for the relatively small saving.

I have no objection to paying this up front and then issuing a 'funding call' (like I did three years ago) from members/users annually. If anyone has any objections to this - and/or alternative suggestions - then I'll think again. But otherwise, I'd suggest that if everyone who uses the forum on a fairly regular basis and is happy to contribute to keeping it going were to pay a fiver (or whatever they can afford) then we would easily cover this year's hosting costs and probably most or all of next year's too.

It goes without saying of course that if I were to end up getting an influx of cash in excess of the next three years' hosting costs then I would consult on what best to do with it (rather than pocketing it myself).

So anyone who has any objections to this suggestion or alternative proposals, please post them below. Otherwise, if you want to make a contribution then feel free to Paypal it to me (please use 'send money to friend' option to avoid fees): domparkes <at> talktalk <dot> net (no spaces obviously). Or cash when you see me would be fine too.

Cheers
Dom
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
Paid.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
All sorted 👍
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Many thanks to all who have chipped in already. Including my own contribution the first year's hosting is now all-but paid for, which is great  :). If anyone else fancies chipping in it will go towards next year's hosting (which I had to pay for up front) and reduce the amount by which I'm temporarily out of pocket. Here's the original message for anyone who hasn't seen it:

The MTB Pigs website/forum hosting contract is due for renewal. When I originally purchased a hosting package three years ago (following an untimely disappearing act by the previous web host) it cost about 90 (I think) for three years - a very good deal, particularly given that it was with a large and reasonably respectable hosting provider (rather than with a fly-by-night operator that gives poor uptime and then eventually goes bust - plenty of those about).

It's due for renewal in a couple of weeks, and the renewal price with the existing provider is now at their normal price (rather than introductory offer price) of about 64 a year. At first I thought blimey that's a lot, I'll move it somewhere else - particularly as they want me to pay for three years up front again. However, looking around at what it would cost for a similar package of services (we need a certain server spec to run the forum properly) from a reputable provider, it's actually about the going rate these days. Sure, we could switch and save perhaps 10 or 15 a year, but frankly it would involve a fair bit of hassle (for me) and I'm not really sure I can be bothered for the relatively small saving.

I have no objection to paying this up front and then issuing a 'funding call' (like I did three years ago) from members/users annually. If anyone has any objections to this - and/or alternative suggestions - then I'll think again. But otherwise, I'd suggest that if everyone who uses the forum on a fairly regular basis and is happy to contribute to keeping it going were to pay a fiver (or whatever they can afford) then we would easily cover this year's hosting costs and probably most or all of next year's too.

It goes without saying of course that if I were to end up getting an influx of cash in excess of the next three years' hosting costs then I would consult on what best to do with it (rather than pocketing it myself).

So anyone who has any objections to this suggestion or alternative proposals, please post them below. Otherwise, if you want to make a contribution then feel free to Paypal it to me (please use 'send money to friend' option to avoid fees): domparkes <at> talktalk <dot> net (no spaces obviously). Or cash when you see me would be fine too.

Cheers
Dom

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:46:00 AM by domparkes »

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
On its way!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
On its way!

Thanks, 1 year now fully paid for.

Andre

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
I sent 5

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »
Just a periodic bump of the original message for anyone who hasn't seen it...

Cheers
Dom

ST12

• Weaner
  • Hello!! I'm Shaun!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »
Obviously very new to forum, but it seems a useful thing to keep going and get involved in! :-)

I'll try bring a fiver with me Thursday!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
A couple more contributions last night, many thanks guys. We're not a million miles off half the total that I've paid for the next three years' hosting, which is great.

:)