Author Topic: Message to all Pigs forum members  (Read 2657 times)

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
Message to all Pigs forum members
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
The MTB Pigs website/forum hosting contract is due for renewal. When I originally purchased a hosting package three years ago (following an untimely disappearing act by the previous web host) it cost about 90 (I think) for three years - a very good deal, particularly given that it was with a large and reasonably respectable hosting provider (rather than with a fly-by-night operator that gives poor uptime and then eventually goes bust - plenty of those about).

It's due for renewal in a couple of weeks, and the renewal price with the existing provider is now at their normal price (rather than introductory offer price) of about 64 a year. At first I thought blimey that's a lot, I'll move it somewhere else - particularly as they want me to pay for three years up front again. However, looking around at what it would cost for a similar package of services (we need a certain server spec to run the forum properly) from a reputable provider, it's actually about the going rate these days. Sure, we could switch and save perhaps 10 or 15 a year, but frankly it would involve a fair bit of hassle (for me) and I'm not really sure I can be bothered for the relatively small saving.

I have no objection to paying this up front and then issuing a 'funding call' (like I did three years ago) from members/users annually. If anyone has any objections to this - and/or alternative suggestions - then I'll think again. But otherwise, I'd suggest that if everyone who uses the forum on a fairly regular basis and is happy to contribute to keeping it going were to pay a fiver (or whatever they can afford) then we would easily cover this year's hosting costs and probably most or all of next year's too.

It goes without saying of course that if I were to end up getting an influx of cash in excess of the next three years' hosting costs then I would consult on what best to do with it (rather than pocketing it myself).

So anyone who has any objections to this suggestion or alternative proposals, please post them below. Otherwise, if you want to make a contribution then feel free to Paypal it to me (please use 'send money to friend' option to avoid fees): domparkes <at> talktalk <dot> net (no spaces obviously). Or cash when you see me would be fine too.

Cheers
Dom
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:24:33 PM by domparkes »
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Ground Sloth

• Porker
Re: Message to all Pigs forum members
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »
Done  :)

G.
Warning - may contain traces of nuts.

wonkle

• Weaner
  • Ride and race DH
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »
Dom I'm happy to give you a 5er when I next get paid.
Remind me of this comment when I see you next.
Riding bikes and having fun

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
I'll bring it along on Thurs Dom..... Good incentive to stay out longer then ! :)
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
I'll either do it via F's Paypal or bring it along on Thursday.
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »
I shall PP you later. If you're like me PP is a secret bike bit funding account?!  ;) Or would you actually prefer cash?

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
Message to all Pigs forum members
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Dom just to clarify, you need to pay for three years up front at 64 per year making the figure  192?
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
will pp when I've been paid at end of week, if a fiver isnt enough happy to pay a bit more.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
Many thanks everyone.

Ian - yep I'll pay for the three years up front, and keep a record. A fiver is fine - if most/all regular users here make a fiver contribution this year then we should probably cover quite a bit of the three years' total anyway. If necessary, I'll post a similar email this time next year - and the year after too if needs be. Paypal (send money to friend/family) or cash (or even a cheque!) is fine - whichever suits. Here's the original post for those who haven't yet seen it:

The MTB Pigs website/forum hosting contract is due for renewal. When I originally purchased a hosting package three years ago (following an untimely disappearing act by the previous web host) it cost about 90 (I think) for three years - a very good deal, particularly given that it was with a large and reasonably respectable hosting provider (rather than with a fly-by-night operator that gives poor uptime and then eventually goes bust - plenty of those about).

It's due for renewal in a couple of weeks, and the renewal price with the existing provider is now at their normal price (rather than introductory offer price) of about 64 a year. At first I thought blimey that's a lot, I'll move it somewhere else - particularly as they want me to pay for three years up front again. However, looking around at what it would cost for a similar package of services (we need a certain server spec to run the forum properly) from a reputable provider, it's actually about the going rate these days. Sure, we could switch and save perhaps 10 or 15 a year, but frankly it would involve a fair bit of hassle (for me) and I'm not really sure I can be bothered for the relatively small saving.

I have no objection to paying this up front and then issuing a 'funding call' (like I did three years ago) from members/users annually. If anyone has any objections to this - and/or alternative suggestions - then I'll think again. But otherwise, I'd suggest that if everyone who uses the forum on a fairly regular basis and is happy to contribute to keeping it going were to pay a fiver (or whatever they can afford) then we would easily cover this year's hosting costs and probably most or all of next year's too.

It goes without saying of course that if I were to end up getting an influx of cash in excess of the next three years' hosting costs then I would consult on what best to do with it (rather than pocketing it myself).

So anyone who has any objections to this suggestion or alternative proposals, please post them below. Otherwise, if you want to make a contribution then feel free to Paypal it to me (please use 'send money to friend' option to avoid fees): domparkes <at> talktalk <dot> net (no spaces obviously). Or cash when you see me would be fine too.

Cheers
Dom

www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Thanks for keeping it up and running Dom, I can give you cash when I see you.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Done, cheers Dom
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Michael.R

• Clyne Rider *
  • Spider-pig
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
Done!

Paul

• Spider-pig
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
Fiver on its way!  :)
You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
Done cheers Dom

Brendawg

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
  • Where's my rock/ sledgehammer?
    • That crash from Snowdon
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »