Author Topic: New to Swansea....  (Read 2021 times)

MarkSantaCruz

• Piglet
New to Swansea....
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
Hey everybody! I'm new to Swansea having moved from West Wales 2 months ago to start a new job. Absolutely love it here and it's getting even better now the suns out for longer!

Haven't ridden properly this year yet bar a couple of visits to Brechfa, Afan and BPW so really looking forward to getting fit again. Having settled in I took my roadie for a blast last night to get the legs going again and just so happened to come across a few gents on some tasty machinery, so thought I'd hedge my bets and stop to pick some brains for some local knowledge......and here I am. Really helpful and friendly group of lads, I didn't catch all the names but Dom advised I get myself on here to see what's going on! Seems like I've been missing a fair bit of action on my new doorstep!

I do a bit of road cycling mainly for fitness but would really like to get back into the DH/Freeride/Jump kind of action.....although I'm not as brave as I used to be! I don't mind a bit of XC too as long as there's a few jumps/technical bits mixed in too!

I live next to the Liberty Stadium so was thrilled to be so close to Kilvey Hill, I went up there a couple of weeks back but couldn't find anything but a maze of tracks. I've been reliably informed now that I went up in slightly the wrong direction however a few others said it didn't exist anymore. I think I came down on the alpine anyway. As far as Clyne Valley goes I've never been past the map board at the bottom so have no idea what's up there at all.

Was planning on going to Afan jump park tomorrow morning but having spoken to the lads yesterday I think I might just go and try and find my way around Clyne a little closer to home! Literally have no cycling pals down here so would be great to hit up the trails with a few of you boys and get to know the place. Cheers and hopefully see you soon.

Mark.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: New to Swansea....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. I arrived just as you rode away last night assuming you were in the Sky kit.

The trails up Kilvey are most definitely still there. Head up the trail from the layby at Pentrechwyth (just up from the Liberty) under the carved arch and keep going until you get to the pond about 300m later. From the pond go straight up and you'll see berms on your left. Follow those and you can't miss the main tracks. Just keep an eye out on either side for other trails. The dh/tech trails don't start from the top. The Alpine heads away from the mast at the top around the edge of the hill back towards Pentrechwyth.

See you up there soon.  :)
Slower than the speed of dark

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, as Jon says lots of stuff on kilvey. I love it up there. If you use strava you'll be able to see all the different tracks marked out, but essentially they all fan out from the start of the main dh.
Clyne is good too and at the moment it's riding nicely as it's super dry :-)

MarkSantaCruz

• Piglet
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. I arrived just as you rode away last night assuming you were in the Sky kit.

The trails up Kilvey are most definitely still there. Head up the trail from the layby at Pentrechwyth (just up from the Liberty) under the carved arch and keep going until you get to the pond about 300m later. From the pond go straight up and you'll see berms on your left. Follow those and you can't miss the main tracks. Just keep an eye out on either side for other trails. The dh/tech trails don't start from the top. The Alpine heads away from the mast at the top around the edge of the hill back towards Pentrechwyth.

See you up there soon.  :)

Thank you Jon, can't believe it! I turned around at the pond last time convinced I was at a dead end and went up the main road to the masts! I'll head up there tomorrow....and yes that was me scantily clad in the sky gear!

Welcome to the forum, as Jon says lots of stuff on kilvey. I love it up there. If you use strava you'll be able to see all the different tracks marked out, but essentially they all fan out from the start of the main dh.
Clyne is good too and at the moment it's riding nicely as it's super dry :-)

Hadn't even crossed my mind to look at strava for clues...Thanks a lot for the tip off! Think I'll try and hit both Kilvey and Clyne tomorrow if I'm not too horrendously unfit!

wonkle

• Weaner
  • Ride and race DH
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
Hi Mark.

Welcome to forum and Swansea.
I was you 2 years ago when I upoed and moved here.
Plenty of gems in Clyne. I hope to see you out there soon.
Riding bikes and having fun

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
Welcome to the group Mark. I'll have to pick your brains sometime for routes down West Wales ;) I sometimes holiday that way and apart from picking out a couple of nice Preseli loops I haven't managed to find anything particularly spectacular. Might take the road bike next time!!!  ;D

Andy

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
Hi Mark, best time to get to know clyne is on a Thursday night, tends to be a good crowd that meet up in the car park and run clyne some nice tracks there, 7:20 pm in black pill car park near the start of the cycle track,

See you out there

Richard

MarkSantaCruz

• Piglet
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
Hi Mark.

Welcome to forum and Swansea.
I was you 2 years ago when I upoed and moved here.
Plenty of gems in Clyne. I hope to see you out there soon.

Yeah it's a big change but I'm really enjoying it here already! Everything is so close to home!

Welcome to the group Mark. I'll have to pick your brains sometime for routes down West Wales ;) I sometimes holiday that way and apart from picking out a couple of nice Preseli loops I haven't managed to find anything particularly spectacular. Might take the road bike next time!!!  ;D

Andy

Yeah there's not much going on there frankly! You could hit up Aberystwyth if you wanted but I always commuted to Brechfa. Plenty of horrendous Tarmac terrain to attack on the road bike however!

Hi Mark, best time to get to know clyne is on a Thursday night, tends to be a good crowd that meet up in the car park and run clyne some nice tracks there, 7:20 pm in black pill car park near the start of the cycle track,

See you out there

Richard

Thanks Richard, will be sure to do that!

I went to Afan skills park this morning, almost started feeling comfortable airborne again but not quite clearing the table tops properly...Also found the Kilvey run when I got back and did 2 runs there, that was a really nice surprise, super gnarly and technical, much more demanding than I was expecting - will be ideal to keep myself sharp on! Met the infamous Julian too who lived up to his reputation.....I think we're good though 😀 Haha! He was alright after a while!

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
Haha most of the time I've been up Kilvey it's been empty, spooky even in winter so not met Julian yet. Lots of technical stuff around, especially when it's been dry for a while

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Nice pics!

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
Welcome to the site, I've also gotten lost trying find the trails on kilvey, though I didn't meet a Julian, is he the Swansea version of a sasquatch?  ;D

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:36 AM »

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
I've got a story about seeing sasquatch on Kilvey when I was growing up. Too long and complicated to type on my Kindle. Weirdly though, the local kids still talk about the bigfoot on Kilvey. Honestly.
Slower than the speed of dark

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
Maybe they are talking about that statue half way up the fireroad towards the dh/tech tracks.. I always forget about it, see it out the corner of my eye and get scared sh!tless! :-[