Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 851 times)

Vilja

• Piglet
Hello all!
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Hi,

My name is Vilja and I'm an exchange student from Finland. I came to Swansea for practical training and I'll be here until end of May.

All I brought from Finland with me is my bike and my biking equipements. So, I'll spend my days off biking around.  I took here with me my carbon hard tail Trek. Back in Finland I have also full suss Ghost.

I joined this group 'cos I hope I'll find new places to ride and have company. And also tips. For example how do I get my bike to Afan Forest? I have once cycled there from Swansea but I didn't have enough time to drive around there.

As a driver I'm not the best but I do have guts. I can't drive hc tecnical trips but I can drive long distances. Hope I'll see you soon.

Sorry about my english.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Vilja.

Have you got llghts to join the Thursday ride? That's the best way to get to know a few of us.

Do you have a car? Most of us drive to Afan and then ride.

See you on the bike soon.
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
Hi,

My name is Vilja and I'm an exchange student from Finland. I came to Swansea for practical training and I'll be here until end of May.

All I brought from Finland with me is my bike and my biking equipements. So, I'll spend my days off biking around.  I took here with me my carbon hard tail Trek. Back in Finland I have also full suss Ghost.

I joined this group 'cos I hope I'll find new places to ride and have company. And also tips. For example how do I get my bike to Afan Forest? I have once cycled there from Swansea but I didn't have enough time to drive around there.

As a driver I'm not the best but I do have guts. I can't drive hc tecnical trips but I can drive long distances. Hope I'll see you soon.

Sorry about my english.
Hi Vilja - Welcome  :) Do not apologise for your English - It is better than any of us can speak Finnish!  ;D I admire your sense of priorities in bringing your bike with you.

I think they run a bus service in the summer, but you would still need to get to Port Talbot or Pondardawe. Keep an eye on this website http://www.cognation.co.uk/cognation-shuttle
I believe it is possible to get a train to Port Talbot with a bike.
And for when there is no shuttle, it would still make the ride to Afan a little shorter.

Also Join Swansea University Cycling Team, they organise trips and share lifts.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2250632365

Cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:20:24 PM by Pilau »

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
Hi Vilja.  Welcome to the forum.  Like the others have said, most of us drive to Afan, then go for a bike ride when we get there.  If you come out on one of the local rides we post up periodically, i'm sure we can show you around some of the local stuff too.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »
Hi Vilja, glad you managed to sign up
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »
Hi Vilja - I'm one of the ones who doesn't drive to Afan, I'm fortunate to be able to cycle there very easily - but that does mean that I have to drive to Swansea.

If you can get to Port Talbot by train, there is a cycle track from the Tesco (overflow) carpark all the way upto Afan Argoed - less than a 30min ride, which at times can be quite scenic.

Vilja

• Piglet
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »
Thanks for all the information and links!

I think I'll take a train next week and head to Afan Forest. If there is anybody who wants to join and introduce the place just let me know. I have whole week off. I also could join you on Thursday. I do have lights.

I don't have a car and I think I wouldn't even dare to drive in here 'cos the left side traffic. I still have some small problems with my bike when I go to traffic circle. Still, car would make everything much easier.

Have a nice Easter! I'll head camping.