Author Topic: Defiance Cycle Ride - 6th April  (Read 3248 times)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Defiance Cycle Ride - 6th April
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
36 miles Glanaman to Swansea, plus the return journey which by the most direct way (via Mynydd y Gwair, I believe) is 18 miles. 54 miles in total, if you aren't a wimp and book the van back!  :)

Which return journey did you say, Andy? Mynydd y Gwair, I trust?
Slower than the speed of dark

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
Ah I figured it out now - basically you're doing the route twice - cycling there --> then the event loop  --> then cycling back to swansea.
About 110 km - that'll take me between 5 and 6 hrs. So I think I'm going be a bit slow for the event!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 10:25:17 PM »
36 miles Glanaman to Swansea, plus the return journey which by the most direct way (via Mynydd y Gwair, I believe) is 18 miles. 54 miles in total, if you aren't a wimp and book the van back!  :)

Which return journey did you say, Andy? Mynydd y Gwair, I trust?
Yeah MYG - get some metres in. Lol ! that could be the answer, book the van back to Glanamman then cycle back to town!!  :D

So Craig, are you in? You don't have to do 1 and a half or 2 loops (Jon and I are just being tight and trying not spend anything on petrol!), you could start from Glanamman. We could meet you at the (official) start.

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
So Craig, are you in?

hmmm, no ta, I think I'll skip it. looking at the route, I'm Just not that confident on the road.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 12:21:11 AM »
Hmm 123km all cycled!  :-\ https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9146501 But Lowish elevation for the mileage. 88k if we stop in Glanaman.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
I'm getting a lift with BiL (Geraint) to Glanaman and then home, so I'll be doing the ride followed by heading back over MyG, although G might need some persuading to head up there. He doesn't do hills yet! :)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »
Just read the briefing notes!! Wow!!  :o It looks like the ride will be paced and chaperoned all the way down with transgressors shot on sight!  :D Craig - this ride will be perfect for you - there are ride leaders and rolling marshalls! It all sounds, dare I say, a bit over-organised!  ??? :-\ But food laid on at the start/finish and at the Mercure. It's more organised than sportives 6 times its size!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 10:38:18 PM »
I'm getting a lift with BiL (Geraint) to Glanaman and then home, so I'll be doing the ride followed by heading back over MyG, although G might need some persuading to head up there. He doesn't do hills yet! :)

I'll ride up and I've lined up an option on a lift back.  Jon, would you cart my commemorative mug back please?  :) Carefully!  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:45:03 PM by Pilau »

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »
Really should give this a go  :-\

Come on Craig it should be a gentle one :)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Ha, Andy. It's a CTC ride!

I'm wondering if it's even worth riding back to Glanaman. Indecision...

Yes, come on Craig and Rob, it'll be good.

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
emailed them to check - and so have Just entered  :o

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
Well I've fucking done it now!  :-[ Never, ever, ever big yourself up! Right, so some relatives get wind of the fact that it's a dementia care home fund raiser and promptly throw 10 notes at me. So I download and print the sponsorship form while in work to stick them on there. Then I bump into a colleague and there's an ooh what's that - I explain, then say, but hey 36 miles ain't much! I might ride to and from the start too = 75miles. Before I know it I've raise 90 odd quid in hard cash and pledges!!  :o Cool!? Yep!  :-\ However, 75 miles?!?!? Oh bugger!  :-[ It's a while since I've been that far!

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
 ;D

You're doing it solo, matey, I'm not doing 75 miles!

I think I'll ride there over MyG, do the charity ride back to Swansea and then go home.

How about adding a few loops of the Ffendrod to make it 100 miles?  ;)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »
I'll revise my comment about you doing it solo - I've just been on FB and seen how many people we know are doing this. You'll have company, I'd guess.  :)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
I don't mind. It'll be a fairly swift ride over to Glanamman, then the return leg from Glanamman back will be a dark place - it will be better if I'm on my own!!  :-[