Author Topic: Defiance Cycle Ride - 6th April  (Read 3249 times)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Defiance Cycle Ride - 6th April
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
       On Easter Monday in1885, a momentous event took place in south west Wales. For the very first time, a modern, chain-driven bicycle was ridden all the way from Glanaman in the Amman Valley to Swansea and back. No-one had seen anything like it before, and thousands of people came out to line the route to see the strange machine pass by.

The bicycle was manufactured by William and Arthur Williams who had set up in business founding the Defiance Cycle Works at their farm, Gelli Fawnen, overlooking Glanaman in the Amman Valley. This was the first - and only - cycle manufacturing company ever in Wales.

Easter Monday in 1885 was on the 6th April, and Easter Monday 2015 is once more on the 6th April. So we are celebrating the 130th anniversary to the day of this unique piece of history by organising a ride from Gelli Fawnen Farm to Swansea and back, retracing as much as possible the original route taken by Arthur Williams on his historic ride.

The ride is approximately 36 miles in total and is a Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) event. It is not a sportive, or a race, but a touring ride to be enjoyed at leisure on a mix of roads, quiet country lanes and traffic-free cycle paths.

http://defiancecycleride.com/

Lun ch and free bottled water
A commemorative mug will be presented
to all participants
All proceeds after expenses will be donated to
“Hafan Dementia Care, Glanaman” 
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Re: Defiance Cycle Ride - 6th April
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Yep, as you probably gathered, I'm up for this. Option to ride there and back and double it up into a loop?  ;)

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:30 AM »
Hmmm, it comes with a mug -  MTV's allowed?

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:45:10 AM »
Hmmm, it comes with a mug -  MTV's allowed?
Multi terrain vehicles - no!
Music TV - I would suggest that's dangerous! :o
Mars transfer vehicle - ummmmm  ???
Munitions transport vehicle - why!?!  ???
Mouse thymic virus - how did you catch that!?
Monitoring of tropical vegetation - you'll be lucky!

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »
I started singing Money For Nothing ( I want my, I want my, I want MTV.....  doodlodedoodooodlrdooooodeddooo....

until I realised that this a cry for help from Craig with the dreaded Mouse Thymic Virus. Too much cheese.

Not sure I want to ride there and back. I'm not keen. :)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Actually it's only 18 miles or so to Glanaman so it's probably worth riding there. How will we transport the mugs though?

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
How will we transport the mugs though?

With a Mug Transportation Vehicle (MTV) of course!  ::)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »
 ;D

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »
 :D
And as if by magic ....

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
I've entered, so has my brother-in-law. It seems that lunch is included, but at the end of the ride in Glanamman, so you need to ride back to get the mug and food. May need to plan how to get there. I'm not riding there, back and there again.

(I entered my details and you click on a payment button to enter Paypal details. However I was planning on using MrsP's Paypal account so waited to get her password and then was too busy to do anything on the laptop. In effect, I didn't pay. I had an email this morning, thanking me for paying! I will take £15 along and have it over the signing in desk.)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:59 AM »
I will take £15 along and have it over the signing in desk.)
Will you have to pay extra for that?! Do we have to watch!?!! Will you be wearing Lycra?  :o ??? :-\

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
Booked. Horrible way to do the booking and you send your details over an unencrypted link (don't like doing that, usually avoid it). I put a route together - 120km  :o  ??? Hmmmm? Not sure that might be just out of reach at the moment. Not done much big distance lately. Though it doesn't have to be too hilly. Given the mug situation - call it "mug-gate" - I think we may at least need transport FROM there. 90km wouldn't be too long a ride. If I drive there, I can take one. Where's your brother-in-law located Jon? Here's an idea - we drop the mugs off at Ambrose's place and pick them up off him at a later date!  ??? I do like making things complicated!  ::)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Yeah, I'll do 90km, no probs. Not sure I want to do 120km just for the sake of it. I can maybe get a lift up there with BiL, and we can get mugs transported home with my sis. I'll text him later.

have it over the signing in desk.)
  ;D  I should read what I type!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
I too shall see if I can sort a lift. Of course you're a little nearer than me so you'll be a little closer to 80km.
I will take £15 along and have it over the signing in desk.)
Will you have to pay extra for that?! Do we have to watch!?!! Will you be wearing Lycra?  :o ??? :-\

I should also ask  - in spirit of the name Defiance ride, will you be gritting your teeth?  ???

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 04:20:32 PM »
I thought it was 36 miles - confused a tad now - 90 or 120 km? What am I missing?