Author Topic: Muddy Erks / runners  (Read 1052 times)

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
Muddy Erks / runners
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »
Went down muddy Erks at lunch, half way down (where the other path joins) there were some guys putting what looked like a fence post/signpost or something to just to the left of the trail. I didn't slow down to see what they were doing but just a heads up in case someone comes blatting down it in the dark and there's a whole fence gone up!!

Also some guy asked me to stop riding as the trail as some runners were using it to train. It looked properly organised and didn't bother me as I was on my way home - but something else to be aware of!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
Re: Muddy Erks / runners
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »
Cheers Ian. Did the guy seem friendly and reasonable? And did whatever they were putting up look like it was temporary - perhaps for the purposes of some sort of event - or more permanent?
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »
Orienteering maybe?

Btw, Muddy Erks isn't a right of way at all, for any user, so while it might be courteous to give them some space the runners had no more right to be there than a cyclist.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:24:02 AM by Jon »
Slower than the speed of dark

Ferrals

• Spider-pig
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
yeah the runners and organisers were all super friendly - first of all saw them all as I was coming down the last section of millers as they were starting round the 'off road' side of the pond and the organisers got them all to stop and let me through, and then the guy that asked me to stop (saw him half way up the climb from the pond to the first fire road) was very reasonable. It looked like some xc running training session or similar from one of the schools - all in the same tops. Don't think there's any issue so long people are aware and clearly the runners know to look out for bikes. To be honest I don't know how much they were actually going to use the bike trails or whether the guy just didn't want me ploughing into them on a fire road or other path.

I didn't really get a look at what they were doing on erks - too busy wondering if i had any traction left in my rear wheel after it got clogged up with mud!!

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
I just walked up Erks.
There are three posts dug into the ground ...
 One at the top
 Two by the Rooty right Hander

On them are Green signs with arrows pointing up and down Erks with the words "Permissive Path"

Be careful when riding down !

Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
I find the whole 'permissive path' thing in Clyne a bit baffling. The permissive path legal structure normally has a very clear purpose - for example a land-owner might be approached by a local council that is looking to develop a long-distance walking route, and is hoping to route it across that individual's property in order to link up two existing footpaths. Most landowners would be resistant to any move that could have a negative impact on the value of their land - such as public usage which could over time lead to the establishment of a (very difficult to revoke or even alter) right of way. So the permissive path status enables them to grant access, but to reserve the right to suspend, alter or revoke this access at any time.

The landowner in Clyne is the council, which effectively holds the land as amenity space on behalf of the people of Swansea. As such, they rightly have no interest in restricting access to any part of it, and the whole area is de facto open access to the public (as far as I am aware anyway). It seems to me to be the equivalent of picking a route across Swansea Bay and declaring that a permissive path - just no need. Certainly, there is no restriction on members of the public walking on existing paths/trails like Muddy Erks.

Seems at best over-officious…  ::)

www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »
It's near the end of the financial year? Maybe just a case of using budget before April? (I doubt it but...)

Anyway, soon there'll be more 'Permissive Path' signs in Clyne than trees.
Slower than the speed of dark

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
These signs have been put upby the CVCP. They have an arrangement with the Council and have permission to work on these routes in the same way that Clyne Riders have with the way marked loop.

I have written to the council about Muddy Erks and told them the history and regular use by riders.

I used to go to CVCP meetings but stopped once I realised that there was no real benefit to us & my failing health. I haven't spoken them directly.

Permissive path status does not prohibit MTBs
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all