Author Topic: Hello Pigs  (Read 1439 times)

andyfish

• Piglet
Hello Pigs
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
Hi all,
After many months of lurking on these here forums and not doing much in the way of actual riding, I thought I would introduce myself and try to get out a bit more ( New Years resolutions and all that!)

I live just outside Swansea and ride mostly around Afan although travel over to Brecfa and Cwmcarn a couple of times a year. I've also ended up doing the Bontrager 24/12 for that last 6 (7?) years, seems to have become a habit and a chance for some family camping and chilled out riding.

I'll hopefully try to get out for a couple of Thursday rides soon, when time and the missus allows. I've only wandered around Clyne once and would appreciate some expert guiding on the best muddy slidey bits that I've heard so much about :)

Hope to see some of you soon out and about
Cheers
Andy

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Hello Pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have another 24/12er on here - I introduced a few of the Pigs to it last year and we all had a good time. Do you normally do the team event or solo? (We've probably camped next to each other for the last 5 years or something!) Have you entered this years race yet?
Slower than the speed of dark

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »
Hiya, welcome to the forum. Come out for a Thursday Clyne ride any time - yup it's slippy but that's definitely part of the fun. You will need lights for the moment of course.

Plenty of other rides get organised through the forum too - all are welcome to join them.

I'm sure Jon P will be along in a minute to try and recruit you to his 2015 Bontrager 24/12 team...

(Oh he already has)
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

wonkle

• Weaner
  • Ride and race DH
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Hi buddy.
Should be out again soon and see you lot then.
Riding bikes and having fun

andyfish

• Piglet
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi all,
I've not entered the 24/12 yet Jon, last year I left it so late the only entry I could pick up was a solo 24 (normally do a solo 12 or pairs to shorten the pain a bit) but the slower pace and dusty weather - for a change - made it almost enjoyable.
If a team is going this year I'd be up for it and I would feel so guilty drinking the free beer Friday eve :D
I can't make this Thursday but the saturday uplift at Cwmcarn this weekend was given a begrudging green light so may go for that if the weather looks ok. (I have been called a fair weather biker for good reason!)

Andy

Paul

• Spider-pig
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse Andy  ;)
You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andy. At this rate the Pigs will have enough Bontrager  converts to enter two teams! I've been fancying the idea of doing the Strathpuffer for a couple of years now. It sounds proper hardcore though. Maybe one day....  Hope to catch up with you on a trail somewhere  ;)

Cheers
Andy

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
Andy Pilau, have a read about the Strathpuffer on the current Singletrack threads. Somebody described it as an event which every other ride through the year feel pleasant, regardless of how horrible the conditions. Despite having done loads of 24s I've never been tempted by Strathpuffer!

Can I just point out to last year's 24/12 team that Andyfish managed 16 laps - if I found the correct flavour of fish.  ;) Puts our efforts into perspective. (Although in 2013 when I was talking to Jonny Williams, who is based around here, and he said he'd done something like 360km, I felt a little humbled. He didn't even win!)

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
Hello and welcome to the site.  :D

I'm one of the Pigs Bontrager crazies team from last year, it was really good fun - but I guess lovely dry weather and dusty trails helps alot. We only managed 22 laps (I think).
But I blame the slog round Dartmoor the day before  ;)

I dont often get to Clyne - just to late to get home afterwards for work. I tend to head to Afan as it's pretty local for me.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »
Andy Pilau, have a read about the Strathpuffer on the current Singletrack threads.
I don't go on Singletrack - it makes you grumpy!  :P

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
Andy Pilau, have a read about the Strathpuffer on the current Singletrack threads.

Only if you're a grump already!  :P;D

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bit-of-a-shambolic-start-to-the-puffer

People do this for fun, you say?
No, that's totally the wrong way to thing about it. You do the puffer to make every other ride of the year fun. It doesn't matter how long, how miserable, how cold, how wet, how many hills or how many mechanicals you have no ride for the next 12 months will be as bad.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »

Only if you're a grump already!  :P;D

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bit-of-a-shambolic-start-to-the-puffer

People do this for fun, you say?
No, that's totally the wrong way to thing about it. You do the puffer to make every other ride of the year fun. It doesn't matter how long, how miserable, how cold, how wet, how many hills or how many mechanicals you have no ride for the next 12 months will be as bad.

I'm a purist, I kinda think that if you're going to suffer your way through an endurance event you should make sure it scars!!  ;D

OMG!!   :( See?! You've infected me with grumpitis!!   :-[

Still kind of tempted by the Bonedragger though.  ;)  Two minds - the other says don't blow a 4 or 5 day weekend on it when it might be more fun to put it towards something like Scotland or something Alpine??? (Talking for me, of course, others may have other preferences or less time/money restraints)