Author Topic: New guy  (Read 1808 times)

Bryn

• Piglet
New guy
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
Hey All, I`m Bryn,

I`v got back into mtb this year after over a decade away, yeah I`m 36, and have dragged a few mates into it as well. We`re based in Haverfordwest, but always on the lookout for new trails to ride, so far we`ve been visiting bpw where we`ve enjoyed the blue trails, Afan a fair bit, on Y Wal, Penhydd, Blue Scar and playing in the skills park, Whites level and Blade are on the hit list too. Been to Brechfa a few times, did the Gorlech trail yesterday, nice and wet, with a few trees down, but nothing to spoil the fun.

Found some clips on youtube of the trails at Clyne, so really keen to get along and ride them, from the videos and a bit of googling it seems like there is a plenty of stuff to explore there.

Although I`m no young un, I`m really keen to progress my jumping, (basically I can`t) before the fear grips me too much and the recovery time from falling off gets any longer, so places where we can session a few kickers, or play for a few hours in the bomb holes sounds brilliant.

Anyway this is me saying hi, hopefully I`ll get to ride some of your local trails, maybe tag onto some rides and get involved in a forum that's a bit more localish to where I am.

Cheers

Bryn 

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Hi Bryn and welcome 👍

I remember being as young as 36 a few years ago now ! Lol

You can see more vids of Clyne Woods here .....
http://www.pinkbike.com/u/angus-4/channel/all/

There's something for all skill levels and ages :) with great pubs near by 🍻

What's down H'west ... Any good local stuff ?
I work all over west wales and always look for new places to ride.

Thurs nights there's a regular group ride however there's always someone riding in Clyne throughout the weekdays and weekends.

Catch you in the trails
Steve
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

wonkle

• Weaner
  • Ride and race DH
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
Hi Bryn.

Welcome to the pigs.

Hopefully we will see you on a Thursday soon bring your lights and have a laugh.
Riding bikes and having fun

Bryn

• Piglet
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
Cheers for the welcome guys.

Steve, theres not much about round here, when I was a kid, I used to piece together bits of bridle path and stuff, but there was nothing all that great. There is a trail from Rosebush, across the Preseli`s towards Mynachlogddu on a mix of bridle and footpath, and Llys y Fran dam has a 7 ish mile trail around it. Do mean to get an os map of Pembrokeshire and see if I can uncover more local stuff to ride.

A local play spot with some dirt jumps for general mucking about would be great.

Looks like I`ll have to get me some lights, but may try some weekend or daytime stuff before I venture out with you boys in the dark ;)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:46:08 PM by Bryn »

Rob.T

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
Welcome Bryn hope to see you out and about.

I live on Gower and know most of the stuff around here so post up if you want to go riding with some nice views.

Like Steve said great pubs too with real ale if you're a fan.

BTW loads of stuff at Brecon and the Black Mountains as well.

caf

• Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Hi Bryn, welcome - its good to see another young 'un on here!  :D 37 (with mind of a 18 year old and body of a octogenarian!)
And I certainly know what you mean about jumping and recovering times.

I struggle to make it over to Clyne as often as I'd like, but am fortunate to live a short pedal from Afan and I try and get about on Penhydd when I have a spare hour.

Bryn

• Piglet
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
Cheers Rob, nice one, yeah will give you a shout ,  heading to bmcc tomorrow which should be fun.

Thanks caf, same really, over grown kid, but starting to (painfully at times) realise I don't bounce like I used to, despite the natural padding!!

We usually park at Bryn Bettws and do Y Wal then slip onto Penhydd, but a couple of the boys are more park than trail and can get a bit cranky when we try and string the two trails into one.

Off to get my kit together as we`re heading off at 6:30  :-\

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
Hi Bryn, welcome to the forum. I was living in Whitland when I bought my first MTB and you are right, there's not much good stuff down that way!
Slower than the speed of dark

Bryn

• Piglet
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
Cheers Jon,

Whitland huh! Used to ride a mix of footpath and bridleway from Llanddewi Velfrey sort of down the back of the hill, into the valley towards Lampeter Velfrey, then across to join the road close the turning for the crem, then under the railway and up across the Cold Blow road to the top, then across the main road and down into Canaston woods......

So last post I was headed to BMCC next day, never been before and its great. Was enjoying it, building up the speed and confidence, had about three runs in and started tweaking my fork settings, that was helping too.

5th run didn't quite go to plan.....

Fully messed up the small jump, after the corner, that follows the bridge then the two tables and the lip/drop, went face first into the berm, closely followed by my lower body and the bike which all folded up behind me scorpion style and drove my head into the ground!

The boys I was there with were all on dh rigs and were gone, so by the time I`d got my helmet off, and regained my breath enough to scrape myself off the ground and started to gingerly head on down the trail, they were heading back up to see what had happened.

That was me out for the day and Liam drove my van back.

Bike was fine, totally fine.............

Hoping to get back out next weekend  :)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:17:06 AM »
 :D Ha! Epic! Glad you're intact! Live to fly another day  ;) What are the trails like in the wet? Muddy & sticky?

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:44 AM »
Hi Bryn
Unfortunately by pushing yourself to be better, sometimes you will have these simply to remind you that you are getting better :) ..... Glad your ok

Where's BMCC ?
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Bryn

• Piglet
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
Cheers guys,

Pilau, it wasn't raining that day, but had been so things were a bit damp, but not wet, grip was good and it was fine, the boys went again last Sat and said it was very wet, still good grip apparently. I think they closed it Sunday to improve the drainage and modify it to handle the wet better.

Steve, yeah, I'm 3 for 3 at the moment. Don't feel like my confidence has taken a knock, just my body, so hope to carry on building where I left off, next time out.

Its Black Mountain Cycle Centre, about 5 miles past Abergavenny. Uplift on a tractor and trailer £25 and they say you should get 10-12 runs.

http://blackmountainscyclecentre.com/

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
hey Bryn.  Glad you've survived!  I was thinking of heading up the Black Mountains place a while ago but wasn't sure if the jumps would still be do-able in the wet.  Do you reckon that they run ok in the wet?
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
Sounds good. Looking at photos, I imagined that red clay soil would get really sticky & slippery in the wet.  I get the impression the lines are all quite big.

Bryn

• Piglet
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
Hey Tristan, this is from the boys on the day I was there,

http://m.pinkbike.com/video/384737/

The same boys were there on sat and said with the wet they could do the same as in that vid, but weren't able to push on to the next level, they made it over the gap, onto the big jump line, but didn't do the last gap. It did sound very wet though, and they said the guys had been sweeping the loose mud off the trail which had helped a lot. Don't know if they've finished the planned wet weather improvements, but it might be worth giving The owner Joe a ring if you fancy a trip up there.

Pilau, I thought that too, but it was totally fine when I was there, and the boys said grip was good for them in the wet, but I think they were splattered and soaked.

When I walked it, it seemed massive to me, but after I rolled it the first time, I found the kickers aren't too aggressive, and didnt give me that feeling they were pushing me vertical in a scary way, so I just regulated my speed to what I was happy with and was landing to flat on the tables which felt fine, then I built up from there. I'm looking forward to the next time I go, I want to start clearing some of the tables and do some of the gaps too.