Author Topic: novice with delusions of grandure  (Read 4377 times)

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
novice with delusions of grandure
« on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
Hello all

Just wanted to say hi my name is richard , I live in Swansea (near llansamlet) and need an adrenalin fix lol, been looking to get into mtb'ing for a while but funds and a new baby meant I had to wait a bit, I'm 32 next month and will be getting a nice new shiny bike for my b'day, got my eye on a cube analogue, decent spec for my budget, will be looking to start riding early november, I see you ride regularly down clyne and will hopefully make this a regular thing for myself, plus with all the local biking trails I'm sure I'll find enough to satisfy my thrill seeking, and quench my mini mid life crisis lol I'm a complete novice when it comes to riding so any tips on gear or anything i might need is appreciated

Thanks rich

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
Re: novice with delusions of grandure
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »
Welcome Rich. Yep we're dam lucky round here for trails  :) Tips - we have many. Mostly they will be useless ones like "Don't eat yellow snow!" and "Canondales are great" but a few will be good. Kit - waterproof breatheable jacket, if you're hitting the trail centres. Winter's coming and they can get bleak on top. Hydration pack - a must in my opinion. But a few people opt for bottles and either a standard rucksack or use jersey pockets. The latter involves travelling a bit light in my opinion. Obviously we don't need to mention a helmet!!  ;D Knee pads and possibly elbow pads come in handy if you expect to be honing your superman impression.  ;) Good quality lights are a must if you intend any night rides. Carry a trail tool, puncture repair stuff &  a spare tube (unless you're running tubeless), bring your mobile (for photos and, God forbid, emergencies) and placcy bag for it in case it rains. Hydration packs sometimes brag waterproof pockets - assume it to be a lie! ;) Hope that lot helps. Feel free to ask for more specific advice.

Andy
 :)

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:32:19 AM »
Thanks Andy

Wow quick response, I've got some lights on the way, some cheap Chinese rip offs with some decent batterys bought separately, and I'm eyeing up a helmet , was wondering about some pads though, so maybe I'll look into it. Seen this hydration pack on fleebay but might be a bit to big but is cheap enough to get me going http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251454709508&alt=web, think I'll have a while befobefore I'll tackle anything too taxing to fine tune my loadout , but a few bits more to get yet , and there's me thinking all I needed was a bike haha

Thanks for the Help I need it lol

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi Rich

Welcome :)
As Andy said a good jacket is good combined with a base layer to keep you snug.
Regarding helmets, pads and backpacks it's always a good thing to try them on before buying them.
You have have Tredz on your doorstep ( a few of the 'pigs' work there too ) where you can try them all on in there. Camelbak or Osprey back packs are the best in my opinion. Helmets and pads are personnel preference.

See you on the trails 👍
Steve
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
Hi Rich

Welcome to the club.  Like the guys have said, spares and waterproofs are useful.  Although i'd suggest always bring a tube (especially if you're running tubeless)!

If you're looking to improve Clyne is a good place to start with Kilvey being a bit more weatherproof and rocky and Gower being a bit more distance orientated.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
Hi Rich, welcome to the forum. If you live in Llansamlet you've got quite a lot of interesting trails near you, although they are very short. The woodland between Tesco Llansamlet and the Pluck lake next to Morrisons is a great area for playing around, it's full of short pieces of singletrack. I often use that area as a bit of a warm up before heading up Kilvey.

And yes, Andy is right, Cannondales are great!  ;D

See you in the dark in a few weeks time!
Slower than the speed of dark

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies , looking forward to getting started , just went to tredz today to order the bike,  so will see u all soon , you mentioned a good jacket any recomendations budget is tight but don't mind buying if it will last

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
Like everything to do with cycling budget is everything - the more you spend, the better the product. (Although you always get to a point of diminishing returns..)

You won't get a properly waterproof jacket until you spend 100s. I've made do with a 100 Endura jacket which has been ok for about 4 years but can't cope with heavy rain, like we've had for the last few days.

Mostly though at this time of year I'll be wearing a windproof or softshell.  I recently picked up a Howies Dyfi windproof for 23 ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/howies-dyfi-windproof-jacket/ ). The price has gone up again but I still think it's worth it. It packs down small and keeps current evening temperatures at bay. For most of the winter I wear an Altura Transformer softshell ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-transformer-convertible-windproof-jacket/ ) This one is excellent - myself and Tristan can both recommend it, (I think he will, anyway.  ;) ) but other manufacturers do similar things.

Really what you are looking for is something that keeps you warm enough but doesn't overheat you while you pedal. At this time of year you will get wet whatever you are wearing. It's just a case of how wet!

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »
And just a general question to the Pigs -  were you all nocturnal last night? I went to bed at 1am and noticed Rob and Andy still having a FB conversation. Weirdos!  ;D

wonkle

• Weaner
  • Ride and race DH
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
Hi. Welcome.

I have to say (as it would be against me not to)
Cube are specced well and look good but I deal with far too many in warranty to make them worth the money for me.
Whilst I know all bikes have downfalls some are greater than others.
Keep your options open.

See you on the trails.

Wonkle.
Riding bikes and having fun

Michael.R

• Clyne Rider *
  • Spider-pig
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »
Hi mate, welcome!

You could always buy my Ragley hardtail instead!  ;D

Richardgarner1

• Spider-pig
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »
Thanks for the jacket advice will look at those, and bought the bike this morning so will have to live with it now lol, as I'm only Just starting i won't need to last forever knowing what I'm like I'll want to change it in a couple of months for something shinier

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
i won't need to last forever knowing what I'm like I'll want to change it in a couple of months for something shinier

I wasn't going to say that and demoralise you.  ;D It happens to most people!  ::) But it seems you're already expecting it.  ;)

See, I told you someone would go and say "Canondales are great"  ::)  :P

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
novices with delusions of grandeur

Thought someone was proposing a new name for the club...
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
Hi Rich,

The others have weighed in with great advice already, I would like to echo Andy and say stay away from them 'Snap-and-fails' (Cannondales) :P  ;D

Now for some buying advice: Once you've been to Tredz to try on gear and decided what you want to buy, walk out the door, drive home & fire up the laptop. I've given up with that place charging the earth for stuff and not even trying to be competitive with all the other main players and I have given them countless chances to take my money from me but I ain't a lottery winner and I ain't rockerfella but I am savvy and I don't like getting my pants pulled down.... (contrary to the rumours)  :o :D

For example, Merlin have some great deals on Camelbaks right now, this is the one I use and is one of their most popular models:
http://www.merlincycles.com/camelbak-mule-2014-59766.html ;)

See you out there at some point 8)
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.