Author Topic: Magnetic pedals project  (Read 3275 times)

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • I'm hanging off the back of the bitch!
Magnetic pedals project
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
As some of you already know, I have had a leg chopped off and I'm planning on getting back on my bike when I get an artificial leg.

Keeping my left foot in position will be tricky and clips are out of the question for me, so I was going to use a ProtonLock magnetic pedal like this:

I have encountered some problems with the Proton pedals,
1. The company has vanished (off the web at least) so I can't buy the pedals;
2. The pedals look pretty rubbish anyway, 140 for a cast high profile pedal without proper pins.

So an engineer/industrial designer friend and I are going to build our own. Hopefully, we'll make something better.

The prototype will be built on a pair of Crank Brothers 5050 pedals, the old type pictured below:

We'll attach a neodymium magnet to the pedal and a steel plate to the shoe. The right side pedal will remain a normal flat pedal. The function of the magnet is more to position my foot correctly than to keep it on the pedal. Pedalling on flats with a prosthetic leg should be ok, but foot positioning may be tricky.

The shoes I've chosen for this project are Five Ten Hellcats, because they work well for clips and flat pedals. They're also black.

If the 5050 pedals don't work out, I'm going to try using Crank brothers Mallet pedals, taking the clippy in bits off and replacing them with the magnets.

I will try to get a cheap set of the old mallet platform pedals off eBay.
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

Steve ;)

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • Pinkbike : Angus-4 ..... Instagram ANGUS27
Re: Magnetic pedals project
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
That sounds like a great plan mate !  :)

When are you looking at riding again ?
Planning on living forever .... So far so good !!

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
That sounds like a great plan mate !  :)

When are you looking at riding again ?

As soon as they let me have my prosthetic leg, which will be December, January at the latest.
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
WTF! How come u had a leg amputated dude?

I didn't know fiveten did spd shoes, might have to check those out, maybe the toe clips will go ;)
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »
Jesus H Christ, that's some journey you've had there and props to you for the strength you've  shown and are showing through the ordeal, I'm not sure how I'd cope if I was told I needed amputation surgery, I hope everything works out for you, I reckon you've got the minerals to deal with whatever is thrown at you.

How strong are the magnets that hold the shoe to the pedal? Would they be as strong as an spd clip or stronger?
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
On a review of the protonlock magnetic pedals that I saw, the reviewer kept coming  out of the pedals. I can only guess that he was trying to do that pulling on the up stroke nonsense.

The aim of my pedal is not to rival SPDs, but to position my fake foot correctly. If the pedals compare well to SPDs, that will be a bonus.

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
It's easier to cope than you would think, you just have to get on with life. Today I'm not so cheery, I'm pretty pissed off at being a monoped.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

On a review of the protonlock magnetic pedals that I saw, the reviewer kept coming  out of the pedals. I can only guess that he was trying to do that pulling on the up stroke nonsense.

The aim of my pedal is not to rival SPDs, but to position my fake foot correctly. If the pedals compare well to SPDs, that will be a bonus.
I was wondering whether it was a system that could replace my toe clips that would offer the security of non-slip like toe clips but without having the awkward spd clips to deal with.
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »

It's easier to cope than you would think, you just have to get on with life. Today I'm not so cheery, I'm pretty pissed off at being a monoped.
I suppose it's better to be pissed off than sit round feeling sorry for yourself, that anger will drive you on
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »
Mark If you've got an old hard disk drive kicking about, take it apart. There will probably be a neodymium  magnet inside, of about the size you're looking at. I've had a muck around with old disk drive magnets and they're frikin strong - I'd have thought it would bode well.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 06:49:14 AM »
Mark If you've got an old hard disk drive kicking about, take it apart. There will probably be a neodymium  magnet inside, of about the size you're looking at. I've had a muck around with old disk drive magnets and they're frikin strong - I'd have thought it would bode well.

Half term, storm raging outside, bored kids, bored dad. Guess what electrical device we're going to take apart....
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »

Half term, storm raging outside, bored kids, bored dad. Guess what electrical device we're going to take apart....

The kids' brand new computer!!!  :-[

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »
I have a supplier lined up for the magnets.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
Yeah I guessed youd have to buy the magnets. I just meant you could experiment with them and see what sort of strength they had. But I didn't SAY that!  ::) :-[