Author Topic: Help! Hardtail Stolen, Swansea Area!  (Read 3637 times)

RI_James

• Weaner
Help! Hardtail Stolen, Swansea Area!
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
This is certainly not a thread I ever would have hoped to be writing on here, but here it goes.

My custom Saracen Xray hardtail was stolen, between the hours of 6 and 10am, on Friday 6th of September from the rear garden of my my friends house, 39 Hanover St. I urge anyone on here who lives or works around the Swansea area, please keep an eye out for thie bike. It is not a stock bike and has several distinguishing features, forks most importantly.

The bike is a 2005 Saracen Xray DJ frame, Rockshox XC 26 TK lo forks, Continental Mountain King tyres, stock Shimano crankset, 21-speed Shimano gripshift gears, DMR all-black chainstay,  DMR V8 pedals. The bike has also been fitted with front and rear lights.

image hosting

photo sharing websites

Please, if anybody see's this bike being ridden around Clyne especially, please try to get the identity of the rider. I realize this is all hypothetical problem solving, but there is reasonable suspicion that the thief lives local, so therefore is intending to use, ride, or sell it locally. If anybody knows anything, or sees this bike being ridden around please notify me. This bike was intended for me as a project build bike, I am willing to give a reward to anybody that can help me trace the location of it. The idea that some filthy fucking skag head has stolen my ride for the sake of a few quick dollars is just fucking infuriating.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:12:07 AM by RI_James »
Hoisted High On Psychic Wings.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Help! Hardtail Stolen, Swansea Area!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
Bad news. Will keep an eye out.

It may be worth talking to the guys in The Hub in case the thief tries to sell it to them.
Slower than the speed of dark

RI_James

• Weaner
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
It may be worth talking to the guys in The Hub in case the thief tries to sell it to them.

Damn right, I was thinking this yesterday. I'd better phone them. Where else will buy second hand bikes in Swansea?

Paul

• Spider-pig
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
 :( Gutted for you James.will keep an eye out for you mate!
You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
That sucks so much!
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Bad luck dude. Will keep an eye out. :(

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Gutting.

Be sure to report the theft if you haven't already. The police do occasionally reunite stolen bikes with their owners, often many months later. And of course it helps paint a true picture of what is actually happening, potentially leading to better police resourcing.

I will of course keep a lookout for this.
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

RI_James

• Weaner
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
Gutting.

Be sure to report the theft if you haven't already. The police do occasionally reunite stolen bikes with their owners, often many months later. And of course it helps paint a true picture of what is actually happening, potentially leading to better police resourcing.

I will of course keep a lookout for this.

There are a number of reasons I haven't been to the police yet, despite knowing that I really should.

I don't have a frame number for the bike I had, I forgot to make a note of it. The bike was not locked or secured against anything, meaning that the thief did not resort to breaking and entering to get the bike, no damage to the property itself was caused, nor its occupants which make the incident a non-violent crime. I will have to report this incident properly to the police, just to be sure that extra base is covered. I know that some local builders on the street outside Bens' house told me, unless the bike is insured all the police can do is give me a crime reference number, which will be useful only if I am claiming back the value of the bike on home insurance, which I have already looked into doing, and I can't.

I guess I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the abilities of the police. They are really not gonna bend over backwards to retrieve a bike like mine. It is worth visiting them, though. Will do that today before I go to the hub.

I'm looking at picking up a new bike today. It's the Proceed FS Trail that they have in the Hub in Swansea - spoke to Chris and explained the circumstances of my loss and they are letting me have it for 475.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Yep you're mostly right, the police basically won't lift a finger to find it. But - and it's a biggish but - at any one time they do have quite a lot of unclaimed stolen property on their hands, some of which is bikes. They do take some steps to match it up with owners where possible, but in the end it gets auctioned off I think.

If they have your details on file then it improves the chances of it finding its way back to you at some point in the future, however remote that might seem right now. In fact the police were trying to find the owner of a quite nice looking Genesis road bike just the other day I believe.

And then there's the crime stats - don't let the police funding authorities think there's no crime that needs fighting just because it's not getting reported!

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
+1 to that  :)

RI_James

• Weaner
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:23:23 AM »
Thanks a lot to everybody for the concern and kind words. Especially considering such bleak times when the possibilities of actually being reunited with my old bike are so motherfucking unrealistic. When I told my dad that the hardtail was pinched, he basically called me an idiot for not having it chained up - and that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole event anyway. I basically took a huge risk leaving it in the garden, that one night of the year when I left my bike unchained somewhere and the odds just weren't in my favour. I'll visit the police tomorrow and see what advice they can give if any.

In the meantime, here's what I just bought.

Proceed FS Trail, Rockshox Domain forks, Manitou radium rear shock, Halo rims, Hope brakeset and a bunch of other fun stuff! Hopefully catch up with you guys real soon - and can't wait to hear your thoughts or recommendations for this new piece of German loveliness!

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
Every cloud has a silver lining - you now have a much nicer bike! (albeit less cash in your pocket)

It's easy to beat yourself up and blame yourself when your bike gets nicked, especially if it wasn't chained up. But to be honest plenty of bikes get nicked even though they're locked up - bike thieves are pretty good (if that's the right word...) at getting through locks.

I'm guessing you'll probably be taking a tighter approach to security from now on...

RI_James

• Weaner
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
I'm guessing you'll probably be taking a tighter approach to security from now on...

Fo' sheezy! I've got a decent bike cable lock for the Proceed, more than suitable whilst I save up some cash for more secure protection.

Will probably be looking into either taking out a cheap insurance policy on the bike, or was flirting at the notion of getting an integrated tracking device? Any ideas on just how good those things are?

Also, are mountain bikes eligible for insurance if I have a bank account which automatically rewards me free vehicle cover? I don't drive, or own a license. I guess I could speak to the chaps at Lloyds TSB for more info on this one.

Might even just settle for something like a Mammoth Thatcher heavy chain.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
I don't know of any actual tracking devices as such, just chips that contain your data so that if a stolen bike is found then the police can find the owner.

As to insurance, it is horribly expensive for bikes. Check out home insurance policies -which will have an upper limit - and maybe have a look at British Cycling and CTC.

But basically don't leave the bike anywhere it can be stolen. Given enough time a thief will get through any lock.
Slower than the speed of dark

RI_James

• Weaner
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
As to insurance, it is horribly expensive for bikes. Check out home insurance policies -which will have an upper limit - and maybe have a look at British Cycling and CTC.

That's the thing. I will have to read up on the exact policy to see under what circumstances the bike is covered. Because my assumption might be wrong here, but surely home insurance cover would only protect me from the bike being stolen from my house? Is there a more desirable type of policy that would cover the bike from being stolen from anywhere! I've never really owned a bike that was expensive enough to bother insuring - so this process is all fairly new to me.

Thanks again, guys.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:15:27 PM by RI_James »