Author Topic: Scotland - 7 Stanes  (Read 6115 times)

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
Scotland - 7 Stanes
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
Anyone fancy a trip up to Scotland to ride the 7 Stanes trails some time in September/early October?

If you've never been then the trails are simply some of the best I've ever done :P.
That's not flying, that's just falling with style

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
Re: Scotland - 7 Stanes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
Definitely!

As long as it won't cost a fortune.  Late september onwards would be best for me.
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
The Human anchor's up for it :D !! As long as you don't mind a slow one in the mix  :- ?

Seriously, if you are intending to keep the pace up I really won't be offended if you say so! :)

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
Of course you're welcome Andy :).

It's a holiday so the plan (for me anyway) is to chill, relax and plod up the hills.
May also consume a beer or two in the evenings :P.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
In that case, I think that's highly likely yes from me  :)

Rob.T

• Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
I quite fancy this, but where will you/every body be staying. I was thinking of camping !

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
As there is a wee chance it might rain and not be the warmest (and because I'm getting old and grumpy) I was thinking B&B or bunkhouse :), but happy to go with the flow. Maybe even cottage depending on numbers?

On my first trip we stayed at this bunkhouse http://www.marthrown.com which is in the middle or Mabie forest (17.50pppn)

On my second trip we stayed at this rather nice B&B http://www.cowansfarmguesthouse.co.uk as we were only there for a few days and at 20-25pppn not that much more that the bunkhouse and obviously includes a full breaky :P.

I believe camping will be around 10-15 per night.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
With that sort price difference - makes the lure of a warm bed and warm showers a little more irresistible! How many nights were you thinking Marcus?

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »
Firstly, shall we plump for the week 28th Sept to 2nd Oct?

As for the trails and number of days:

Kirroughtree - Red + black 31km Must do

Dalbeattie - Red + black bits 25km Must do

Ae - Red + black bits ~20km Must do

Mabie - Red 17km Red + 4km Northshore. Not fussed about this one unless any fancies 4km of Northshore?

Ae, Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie, Mabie are all close to Dumfries so can do one a day

Glentress - Red 19km or Black 30km Must do

Innerleithen - Red + Black bits 19km Must do

Suggest doing Glentress Red and Innerleithen Black in the same day as it's a few hours drive to get there from Dumfries

Drumlanrig - Red 20km + Black 8km, never done it but it's close to Dumfries. I like the info about it: Riders should be highly experienced, but should expect to fall off.

Jedforest - Ungraded 40km, never done it but it's quite far from Dumfries

Glentrool - Happy to miss unless anyone wants to do it

Newcastleton - Happy to miss unless anyone wants to do it

So, IMHO, that gives us a min of 4 days.
Day 1: Drive up + Dalbeattie (took us 6 hours from Swansea to Dalbeattie last time)
Day 2: Glentress + Innerleithen (while still having fresh legs)
Day 3: Kirroughtree
Day 4: Ae + drive home

Which is only 3 nights (60 to 75 at the B&B depending on whether 2 or 3 per room)

Happy to stay up for more days to ride the Mabie and Drumlanrig depending on preferences and also to stay one extra night to avoid having to ride and then drive back on the same day.

If we include Mabie and Drumlanrig plus one extra night that gives us
Day 5: Mabie
Day 6: Drumlanrig
Day 7: Drive home

= 6 nights  (120 to 150 at the B&B)

Plus obviously petrol, food, spares, breakages, A&E, etc...

How does all that sound?

Feel free to suggest a different itinerary.

:)

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
Will have to get back to you about dates but they sounds pretty close to what i'll be able to get off.  Would say might as well make it a week though, hell of a drive if only coming back after a few days.  Plus maybe get more than one trail a day in?  Depends on what the local nightlife is like, if there's loads going on then will probably not be in the best state to be getting up early but if not, 2 20km loops a day wouldnt be too difficult?
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
LMAO!! :D I imagined a long weekend!! This'll stretch my negotiating skills!! ;-) I'll get back to you too Marcus.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
 ??? Just been marking off the office leave calendar and just realised! Isn't the 28th the weekend we tagged for Rich's Cystic Fibrosis challenge!? 

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
??? Just been marking off the office leave calendar and just realised! Isn't the 28th the weekend we tagged for Rich's Cystic Fibrosis challenge!? 
No problem to move the Scotland trip back a day or two (or a week) although I thought the CF challenge was the weekend before (19th Sept)?

LMAO!! :D I imagined a long weekend!! This'll stretch my negotiating skills!! ;-) I'll get back to you too Marcus.
In my thinking, for a only a weekend:
a) it is a long way to drive; and
b) there is too much riding to be done :P

Although 6 days is just a long weekend when you look at it really :D ;)

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
No problem to move the Scotland trip back a day or two (or a week) although I thought the CF challenge was the weekend before (19th Sept)?

Yeah looking at it, it's a split jury!  ??? So, if it doesn't get stirred up it'll lose out on lack of enthusiasm.

Although 6 days is just a long weekend when you look at it really :D ;)

That was gonna be my slant.  ;D

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »
Those of you off to the land of men in scratchy skirts, enjoy yourselves, keep it rubber side down and have a beer for me. Gutted I'm not going. :( Bring back photos! :)