Author Topic: Should I? Shouldn't I? Arrgh, too late!  (Read 1576 times)

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
Should I? Shouldn't I? Arrgh, too late!
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
So I was browsing ebay on the weekend and happened to come across a 2012 Nukeproof Scalp Comp, listed as 'new other', which had been ridden twice and was basically as new. Convincing explanation from the seller, who seemed totally genuine and had cast iron feedback.

The auction had 6 hours to go, price was the starting price of £1,050 with no bids and no reserve. Bit of a crappy ad, short on text, a few pics but very low quality, looked like it had been posted from a mobile. (Why do people do such crap eBay ads???) A bit of Google research showed that he'd listed it previously at a starting price of £1,850 and got no bids.

So I thought blimey, an immaculate Scalp for a grand, I can't not buy that! So I watched it, wondering what Rach would say about yet another bike in the garage and thinking maybe I could say I'd got it for Grace for when she's a bit older...

Anyway in the last hour bidding picked up, and when it went over the £1200 mark I decided not to bid. But it only went for £1,320! Someone had a total bargain!

Even though I can't possibly justify buying a DH bike or spending £1,300 on something I don't need and have no room for, I still feel a bit gutted...
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
Re: Should I? Shouldn't I? Arrgh, too late!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
Ah, the age old ebay predicament of 'I don't really need it and I can't afford it but I would be stupid not to!' ;)

Been there many a time, especially over the past year while the stable has gone from 1 perfectly good bike up to 3 :o
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Tristan

• Global Moderator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Haha - I'm sure there'll be others.  Just have to be honest with yourself next time and be prepared to put your money down!
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells (possibly)

Joe

• Porker
  • Crash Test Dummy
    • Grinding Gears
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
I do this every time I'm on ebay! And everytime CRC sends me one of their MASSIVE SALE emails. It's a hard thing to resist and a horrible thing to miss out on!
If you're not falling off then you're not riding fast enough!

spicy 516

• Clyne Rider
  • Spider-pig

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Cheers Chris!
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices