Author Topic: My love for Pace  (Read 4625 times)

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
My love for Pace
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
I first started mountain biking back in 1989 on a Raleigh Mustang and, although looking back it was a heavy beast with cheap crappy components, it got me hooked and was the first in a long line of gone but not forgotten bikes. Now, 23 years later, over the last 12 months I have got the itch to ride again and so have started to scratch it. It was back in 1999 that I managed to buy my first dream Pace from M&P (now TREDZ) on the Enterprise Park, I went in there for something else, I can't remember what, but walked out excited as a kid at Christmas having just bought an RC200F8 frame and RC36 EVO2 fork they had on sale. I had dreamed for years about owning a Pace since I saw the first RC100 in MBUK and becoming a fan of the Mint Sauce cartoon in the mag. I still own the RC200 and could never ever part with it, here it is in its latest guise:

Earlier in the year, through RetroBIKE, I had the chance to buy a Pace RC300, the last of the square tubers and the final evolution of that RC100 I fell in love all those years ago in MBUK. I couldn't resist and snapped it up and over the past few months have been trawling the internet & eBay for trick parts to build it up. Here it is, finally finished after one lap of Cwm Rhaeadr last week:

8)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:31:10 AM by Pace Ian »
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8
Klein Attitude Dolomite 1990

Ian, you are a legend.

Tristan

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: My love for Pace
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
I'm not usually a fan of old school bikes but to be fair that's quite nice (although i'm not sure about the high saddle and extra length stem!).
Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H G Wells

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
My love for Pace
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
I'm not usually a fan of old school bikes but to be fair that's quite nice (although i'm not sure about the high saddle and extra length stem!).

Cheers. the saddle is set at the correct height for me, both are 16.5" frames and are set up as XC whippets even though I'm more of XC lard arse nowadays. the stems are only 100mm long which is pretty short for the way they are set up, you would usually see up to 140mm stems with flat bars on quick XC set ups
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:46:40 PM by Pace Ian »
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »

Cheers. the saddle is set at the correct height for me, both are 16.5" frames and are set up as XC whippets even though I'm more of XC lard arse nowadays. the stems are only 100mm long which is pretty short for the way they are set up, you would usually see up to 140mm stems with flat bars on quick XC set ups
Ian - you will come to learn that Tristan's idea of perfect bike geometry is something designed by British Aerospace as he spends most of his time not actually in contact with the C he's X'ing  ;)

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
My love for Pace
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »

Ian - you will come to learn that Tristan's idea of perfect bike geometry is something designed by British Aerospace as he spends most of his time not actually in contact with the C he's X'ing  ;)

:lol:

Yeah, I guessed as much, saddle slammed, short stubby stem, bars wider than a wide load and 160mm of travel ;)
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

cas_uk

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:45 PM »

:lol:

Yeah, I guessed as much, saddle slammed, short stubby stem, bars wider than a wide load and 160mm of travel ;)

120mm is more than ample for around clyne on a hardtail  ;) nice to have a bit more to play with though, think i recall seeing tristans bike with his pikes wound down slightly.
Ian, I absolutely love the two Paces, do you have other bikes or are these your main bikes? both very very nice bikes  8)

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Ian, I absolutely love the two Paces, do you have other bikes or are these your main bikes? both very very nice bikes  8)
Thanks mate, yeah they are my only fully built bikes, I also have an Alpinestars Cro-Mega EOS that is in need of a full repaint (stripped it down years ago but never got round to finishing it) but I am also always on the look out for a mint Klein Attitude from 1990/1, that along with the Paces, is one of my dream bikes that I will own one day ;)

I also fancy a full susser too, would love an Ibis Mojo carbon  8)
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

Jamie

• Clyne Rider *
  • Porker
  • This text is intentionally left blank
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »
I started on a Raleigh Mustang too. I remember getting it from the Raleigh shop in Swansea.

I loved the 2 tone black and white colour scheme. However I quickly realised that a cool paint job didn't compensate for cheap components and heavy frame!

Ps love the Paces too

Pace Ian

• Wild boar
  • fuzzywuzzywazzawoman
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
I started on a Raleigh Mustang too. I remember getting it from the Raleigh shop in Swansea.

I loved the 2 tone black and white colour scheme. However I quickly realised that a cool paint job didn't compensate for cheap components and heavy frame!

Ps love the Paces too
Yep, the good old Raleigh Mustang, it was a heap of shit but I don't think I stopped riding it the Christmas I got it ;) I had the pink one  ;D
Current rides:
Ibis Mojo SL
Pace RC300
Pace RC200F8

Ian, you are a legend.

pikeg

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
My first proper bike was a mustang too, kids size though. 20" wheels, black and white frame.. Loved that bike.. Stunning looking pace by the way, those tyres really set it off too :)