Author Topic: Forum downtime  (Read 4514 times)

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Save your pennies for the shiny stuff!
    • Grass Roots Cycling
Forum downtime
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
So the forum went down yesterday/today for a prolonged spell.

It has gone down a handful of times in the past since the forum was moved to a new host, but always came back up quickly of its own accord.

This time however it wasn't budging. I took a look at the crucial settings file for the forum (Settings.php) and found that it had been re-set to its default out-of-box settings at about 7.00pm yesterday (Mon 9th July) - these 'blank' setting are not sufficient for the forum to run. Security on this file was 644 (which for non-Linux nerds is I believe pretty secure), so I'm not sure what happened. Any of our administators accidentally mess something up?

I managed to restore the settings and all seems to be working now, I've also backed up the settings locally (the server backup file had also been messed up).

Puzzling, but fingers crossed...

Dom
  www.grassrootscycling.co.uk | Cycling essentials at sensible prices

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
Re: Forum downtime
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Did someone type 'google' into Google?

(It breaks the internet apparently!)  ;)
Slower than the speed of dark

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
Not me? I'm not familiar with connecting at that level. I suppose I could guess, but I've never tried.  ???

644 is OK ish but 600 would be better, but that depends on ownership of the file. If you don't own it and you change it to 600, you won't be able to edit it so take care.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
Yes exactly Andy, and it's sometimes hard to be sure in a shared webserver environment...

I have in fact been told be an SMF support nerd that I could set it down to 444 for security purposes. I've got back to him just to check for any potential pitfalls.

Also, just to clarify as I'm not too hot on Linux: If I'm able to change permissions to, say, 600, then even if that prevents me editing it could I not simply re-set permissions temporarily to 644 or whatever? Or is it a one way street??

BTW the SMF support nerd said the following, which is helpful:

Quote from: SMF nerd
Most likely your host restored a backup of Settings.php. The database errors probably emptied out your Settings.php (due to a nasty bug in SMF) and someone restored a backup. Unfortunately for you, it wasn't the current configuration.

BTW, it's easiest to "fix" Settings.php by downloading repair_settings.php (http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php) and running it.

When done, and you're happy with Settings.php, make the file Read-Only (444 permissions). This will prevent it from being overwritten by the SMF bug when you get a quick succession of database errors.

Needless to say I've now created local backups of the crucial SMF application files.

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
Forum downtime
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »
Glad your getting things sorted properly Dom. More than I ever did :/
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:03 AM »

Also, just to clarify as I'm not too hot on Linux: If I'm able to change permissions to, say, 600, then even if that prevents me editing it could I not simply re-set permissions temporarily to 644 or whatever? Or is it a one way street??

Yes I believe so, though it may depend on what flavour of Linux it is. Are you accessing all your files with FTP or telnet or secure shell? For any of those, if you run an "ls -l"  you should get your normal current directories file list. You're probably quite  familiar with this. It should show the permissions code, user ownership and group membership in that order but with additional columns. If that user ownership does not match the username you logged into that command line with, then you don't own the file. Try running "groups yourusername" (won't work in ftp) to see what groups you're in. if one of those matches the group membership for the file then 440 will be OK. If non of the above then stick to 444. HTH!  :)

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
  • I'm hanging off the back of the bitch!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
Amber warning:

WARNING NERDYNESS EVENT HORIZON APPROACHING ... WARNING NERDYNESS EVENT HORIZON APPROACHING ... WARNING NERDYNESS EVENT HORIZON APPROACHING ... WARNING NERDYNESS EVENT HORIZON APPROACHING ...
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
I have a feeling that you are as bored as me, Mark?

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
I have a feeling that you are as bored as me, Mark?

I'm feeling workshy rather than bored.
A Gentleman in the mountains, no matter what his means of access, should be appropriately attired at all times, specifically in a manner which befits his modesty and public decency.

domparkes

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
    • Grass Roots Cycling
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
Amber warning

yes, if we carry on like this we'll have to moderate our own posts by moving the whole thread over the the nerd board...

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Ignore Mark, he's just feeling a little inadequate because he spends all his time on Mac!  :P  ;)

Jon

• Clyne Rider *
  • Wild boar
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
That begs the question of who is Mac?

markieboy

• Clyne Rider
  • Wild boar
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »
OSX is Unix based, ultimate nerdyness. I installed Ubuntu once but the interface was brown, so I took it off.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
OSX is Unix based, ultimate nerdyness. I installed Ubuntu once but the interface was brown, so I took it off.
Yeah but Mac users don't go paste the GUI usually. You must be a freak Mark!  :P ;) Ubuntu IS brown.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:12 AM »
That begs the question of who is Mac?
Jon! behave!