Author Topic: Sponsored Ride for CF  (Read 6892 times)

Rich

• Clyne Rider
  • Weaner
Sponsored Ride for CF
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
Hey Pigs,

I'd like to organise an event to cycle at 3 centres in one day in aid of Cystic Fibrosis. The idea is that as many of us as possible would join in the ride for 1, 2 or 3 centres and get sponsorship from as many people as possible.

A friend's daughter has CF and I'm keen to do all I can to raise money to find a cure. I'll set up a Just Giving site so all those that wish to take part can give out the web address to friends, families and work colleauges.

Here's the details (I've worked out so far, still loads to do)
Ride starts at 6am  :o on Saturday 22nd August 2009 at Afan - ride Pennhydd
9ish head up to Glyn Corwgg
Glyn Corwgg -  ride Whites Level
12.30ish Lunch/ drive to Brechfa
2ish Brechfa - ride Gorlech Trail
6/7ish collapse and go to the pub!!   ;D

Just realised that's 9 hours of riding!!!!!!! Is this too ambitious? I'm up for a challenge if it gets more interest.. Let me know what you think..

If anyone who owns a cycle shop would like to sponsor this event then please let Bils or I know  ;)

If you're interested in taking part please get in touch by posting up or sending me a message through the forum.

Cheers.....

Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use ~ Charles M. Schulz

james f

• Shoat
  • ...that's how i roll!
    • Tawe Cleaning Services
Re: Sponsored Ride for CF
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
...this sounds like a relay event to me, so can i book myself in for the section that involves the pub?

joking aside, sounds like a good idea for the fit ones i.e. cen, quentin etc. and a worthy cause.

j-c-f

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
I'm up for it but to be realistic for me, I'd be looking at 2 centres!!  Like James, bags the pub!! ;)

Just one thought that popped into my head. How about Rhiaidr
instead of Penhydd? It might back off the difficulty and it's truly 3 seperate centres. I know, the decision may already be made. Either way, great idea and I'm up for it! :)

marcus

• Spider-pig
  • 4X rules apply
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:21:40 PM »
Sounds like a great idea and worthy cause to me, although to make it a proper challenge I reckon Cen should ride between Afan and Brechfa  :)
That's not flying, that's just falling with style

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »
Twice!! ;-)

john

• Spider-pig
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
From the comfort of my lounge it sounds like a good idea worthy of our support.

Rich

• Clyne Rider
  • Weaner
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
Great, I'm pleased there is some support already for this. I'm going to set up the Just Giving website and start to plan out the event in more detail, particularly how we're going to get from one location to another. The drive to Brechfa is going to be a killer, just enough time for our legs to cease up  :o
I will drive, I have space for 4 bikes including my own and 3 passengers.
I'll update again with a post soon.
Bils,
Can we put a registration form on the external website so we can track numbers if others from outside the club want to join? Who knows we may even get some more riders for a Thursday night!!

Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use ~ Charles M. Schulz

Bils

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
  • Dig for Victory
    • Clyne Riders
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »
Bils,
Can we put a registration form on the external website so we can track numbers if others from outside the club want to join? Who knows we may even get some more riders for a Thursday night!!
Yes, just send me the stuff and I'll put it on.
Maybe, just maybe, one bike isn't enough after all

Rich

• Clyne Rider
  • Weaner
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
Thanks Bils, I'll send over the document as soon as I have all the details finalised.
I need to change the date to 15th August as I have another commitment on 22nd so will reflect in the document I send over.

Rich

• Clyne Rider
  • Weaner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 02:19:03 PM »
Please let me know by Thursday night if you are planning to ride at this event.
So far, Dom, Tristan and I are riding all 3 trails Rob and Simon are hoping to ride at least one. I'd ideally like a few more riders to make this worth while so if we don't have a few more takers I'll postpone it to September when, hopefully a few more people will be available.
Cheers

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
Hi Rich - I was hoping to do at least 2, but starting to think that all 3 might not be possible so put me down for 2. :)

Andy

Steve

• Porker
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
Hi Rich

Unfortunately I'm away at my nephews wedding up in Cambridgeshire that weekend

john

• Spider-pig
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:40:57 AM »
I'm afraid that I am away on the weekend of the 15th.

Rob.T

• Wild boar
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
I would rather do the 3 centres in September, if it meant more of us could attend.

Pilau

• Administrator
  • Wild boar
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:31 PM »
I would rather do the 3 centres in September, if it meant more of us could attend.

Yeah - come to think of it - I might be in better shape by then (ribs-wise not fitness-wise 'cos that's never gonna happen!  :'( )

I'll give a vote for a late September date (I'm on holiday early Sept  8) )